pot drop...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
KittieKAT

Re: pot drop...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Post by KittieKAT »

Sorry for blurry pictures my phone camera sucks
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Your phone probably will not focus that close KittieKAT. There is a minimum focus distance for all lenses, whatever cameras they are on. Even on a DSLR a normal lens will not focus as close as a macro lens unless you put it on extension tubes. You need to back off a bit with your phone camera and then crop the picture on the computer to the size you want.

You can now get add on close-up lenses for smartphones:-

http://www.trust.com/en/all-products/18 ... and-tablet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But these days you can pick up cheap second-hand interchangeable lens digital DSLR cameras off eBay anyway, and anything more than 8 megapixels is adequate for posting online using the larger DSLR sensor (actually even 6 megapixels is more than adequate) and will produce a better picture than all the new multi-megapixel smartphone tiny sensors:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/How-Many-Mega ... 262/g.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/How-Many-Mega ... 261/g.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More megapixels than needed can often mean more noise = grainer images, and excessive in camera noise reduction softens the image so they may in fact be less sharp than those from a lower megapixel camera. In camera noise reduction is getting better, but it still does not beat a sensor having larger pixel sites, which is why DSLR's are now moving to larger sensors to allow more pixels but still having larger pixel sites than on the smaller sensors of the same pixel count. Often a higher quality lens will do more for the quality of the image than a higher megapixel camera body.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledg ... inues.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Its only when i use flash daveW unfortunately its always to dark in the night room to get a good picture on the camera on my phone no matter how fast or close i get or how many lights are on in the room at three time . If it's not day light it looks like crap, unfortunately.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

But i figured atleast the they can see the green in the containers :)
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Errr,guess this is the best pic i can get outta this camera
Attachments
IMG_20150101_135639.jpg
IMG_20150101_135639.jpg (49.67 KiB) Viewed 985 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

The green are some of the lithops i cropped into a close-up
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Was really disappointed when my roommate literally drowned my lithops and my albino white lithop that was getting bigger, but today on inspection i discovered the seed sprout i assumed was two seeds sprouting at the same time ended up being a 3 leafed lithop! So excited, I'm really hoping nothing happens to this one (cross fingers, knock on wood) i kno it will prob eventually revert back to a normal two leafed lithop plant when it gets older but I'm hoping it will stay like that for a little while I've NEVER had a 3 headed lithop and never seen one personally from seed ive Sen one that decided to turn into a 3 headed one but then revert back next leaf change, so I'm literally praying it lives long! I'm keeping this pot in my site at ALL times
easternmostcactus

Post by easternmostcactus »

The seedlings look great; no worries!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"Errr,guess this is the best pic i can get outta this camera."

Not the camera KittieKat, you are simply trying to focus closer than the camera can in order to get a larger image. Move the camera a further away until you get a sharp in-focus image and then crop it in post processing to the size you want. All lenses have a minimum focus distance below which they cannot focus, unless in the case of a DSLR you add extension tubes. Also autofocus often cannot focus quite as close as manual focus can.