how to repot cactus with LOTS of roots growing out of pot?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
tomo

how to repot cactus with LOTS of roots growing out of pot?

Post by tomo »

I bought this golden barrel cactus online, and when it arrived, the roots were growing out the bottom and they're so entangled, the pot can't sit flat. I'm thinking it needs to be repotted pronto, but what do I do with the roots? I'm concerned they're so knotted, I'm going to have to cut them just to get the cactus out of the pot. Is that OK? If I do have to cut the roots, should I let it sit out bare roots for several days before repotting? I might be able to cut the pot, since it's plastic, but not sure...I'm sort of new to all this so any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Attachments
cactus roots 1.jpg
cactus roots 1.jpg (110.07 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
cactus roots 2.jpg
cactus roots 2.jpg (57.49 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
Ron43

Re: how to repot cactus with LOTS of roots growing out of po

Post by Ron43 »

I've bought several cacti and numerous potted plants like that and I just cut them off and wait for the cuts to dry and then re-pot.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I sometimes just push the roots back thru the holes and twist the plant so the plant releases from the pot
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You can break the pot apart and untangle them if the plant is valuable and you think damaging the roots will affect it. Easier in the old days of clay or ceramic pots when one blow with a hammer usually did the trick. However if the roots will not pull through (which probably damages some anyway) most of us just cut them off flush with the pot bottom and leave to dry as Ron says. You can also dip them in rooting powder, sulphur or charcoal dust to dry the cut surface if you wish, but most cacti are used to loosing some roots in the dry season, therefore heal OK anyway provided they are not watered too soon after the root damage.
tomo

Post by tomo »

Thanks for the great advice everyone! Since the pot is plastic, I was able to cut it and was able to keep most of the roots intact, here's what it looks like now...my next question: I've currently got it outside on a covered patio, temps. tonight are mid 40s (I think around 7 C)--should I move it into the garage or into the house? Also should I repot in 3-4 days (is that enough time for the roots to heal?) Thanks again for any input, much appreciated! :D
Attachments
golden barrel roots 1.jpg
golden barrel roots 1.jpg (139.08 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
golden barrel roots 2.jpg
golden barrel roots 2.jpg (63.19 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I repot asap and just don't water it until a week or two until the roots heal, id move it inside or into the garage. Anywhere it's around 50°F should be fine
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Obviously it's best to use a reasonably dry potting mix when re-potting since if it's very wet it is just the same as immediately watering after re-potting before the roots have healed.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Exactly what Dave w said! He's correct, nuke the soil in the microwave if u have to four a few minutes to dry it out and then let it cool before the repot
tomo

Post by tomo »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've had it in the garage for the past couple of days, and I'll go ahead and repot tomorrow. That's good to know about repotting with dry dirt vs. wet dirt. And I had no idea about popping the dirt in the microwave! I learn so many interesting things here! :)
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Popping it in the micro wave also kills pests that sometimes get into the soil, but if u don't nuke it long enough you will just hatch the eggs instead of killing the critters - I've had experience. ..grrrrr
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

On the other hand. don't scorch it.
Spence :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As Greenknight says don't scorch it since you can over sterilise soil and produce toxins:-

"Soil temperature should not exceed 212°F, as this often causes toxic substances to develop in the soil. Also, soils containing high amounts of compost or manure may develop toxic substances when treated with heat or steam at temperatures above 212°F."

212°F is the boiling point of water. You can even sterilise small spread out amounts of soil by pouring boiling water on it, but it takes ages to dry out enough for potting up.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/GHGS-28.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden- ... g-soil.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

They are absolutely right! Be very very careful not to do that, or then you could actually kill yr plant/seeds