cutting and re regminate stock

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
XP_2600

cutting and re regminate stock

Post by XP_2600 »

cac01.jpg
cac01.jpg (25.77 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
I grafted some seedlings on Heliocereus , i grafted on fresh off shoots, so i want to cut the shoots and put them on soil so stock be shorter and i can use the original plant to re produce other shoots, i live in Egypt and its winter now here, when is the best time to cut the heliosereus stock and root as fast as possible so scion don't lose a lot of water ?
XP_2600
KittieKAT

Re: cutting and re regminate stock

Post by KittieKAT »

Usually you'd want a tall stock when grafting plants, atleast that's what i always thought. Someone I'm sure will chime in to answer your questions :) Goodluck
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Cacti usually root better when it's not winter, in case you have a cold winter, wait for a more adequate time of the year.
Bruno
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You can shorten the stocks in the growing season (not winter) and root them down and your stock plant should throw out new shoots. As KitteKAT says plants on tall stocks usually grow quicker since there is more photosynthesizing tissue below to feed the scion. In some cases people will graft on stocks 4-5ft high or more just to get this extra growth, plus they usually have a more vigorous rootstock. When the scion is large enough you can either cut the scion off a centimetre or so above the original stock and re-graft on a stronger more permanent stock (Trichocereus or similar) leaving the small amount of scion on the original stock to produce further offsets for propagation. Alternatively root the scion down, either directly or leaving a few centimetres of the old stock remaining which will be hidden below soil level. Often the stump of the stock underground gradually declines since it is not photosynthesizing anymore and the scion eventually roots through it. See last picture at bottom of this link:-

http://frank-southofaridland.blogspot.c ... inate=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://frank-southofaridland.blogspot.c ... chive.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used to correspond with somebody in East Germany who grafted a Pseudolobivia on the top of a 6ft tall Cereus and within a few years had produced a Pseudolobivia clump 18 inches across. Obviously quite out of character for the species and should have been de-grafted when a more characteristic size. A speaker at our branch some years ago showed us some slides of the collection of a lady on the Continent who grafted all her plants on 4-5ft high stocks and had Sulcorebutia clumps on top about 7 inches in diameter, rather like soup plates on top of sticks, entirely out of character for the species, but illustrating it would be a quick way to get mature plants like Uebelmannia's etc in a reasonable time, de-grafting and rooting them down when large enough.

http://frank-southofaridland.blogspot.c ... inate=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7george

Post by 7george »

As a tropical forest plant Hylocereus roots very fast - in 1 - 2 weeks. Just put cutting in warm place, indoors, at about 20 deg. or more and wet soil. Keep it shaded, it will not be dehydratated too fast.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8