My new adult cactus

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
fanaticactus

My new adult cactus

Post by fanaticactus »

This columnar (I believe it's a Myrtillocactus) was given to me by a friend in town. Unfortunately, in removing it from the back seat of my car (it was standing in its pot)--even though I made sure to nudge top out beyond the door jamb--it must have slipped back inside when I reached down to grab the pot with my other hand. The top 7" or so snapped off (quite cleanly, actually). So I'm wondering if the parent section will continue to grow by putting out a branch or two. As you can see, I've prepared the top to dry in hopes of rooting it and starting a second cactus. I realize late October/early November is far from the ideal time to root a cutting, but I'd like to try. Any suggestions other than the usual letting it callous over, putting it an inch or so into a sand/soil/pumice mix and just waiting until Spring?
DSC03914.JPG
DSC03914.JPG (31.64 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
DSC03916.JPG
DSC03916.JPG (27.51 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
DSC03915.JPG
DSC03915.JPG (41.79 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
greenknight

Re: My new adult cactus

Post by greenknight »

Shouldn't be any problem - you should have two of them next year.

According to these guys - http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MYRTIL ... rizans.htm - cuttings root only in hot weather, and must be kept very dry to root. That's a good big cutting, holds enough moisture that it should survive without roots until next summer easily.
Spence :mrgreen:
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

greenknight wrote:Shouldn't be any problem - you should have two of them next year.

According to these guys - http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MYRTIL ... rizans.htm - cuttings root only in hot weather, and must be kept very dry to root. That's a good big cutting, holds enough moisture that it should survive without roots until next summer easily.
So I guess I shouldn't even try to root it with a warming pad underneath this winter? And the adult should grow "arms" as shown in the photos, even though the top won't look too good?
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Definitely try and see if you can root it this winter. Just keep the soil dry unless you are actually getting roots. The worst that will happen is it will just sit there until spring.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Saxicola wrote:Definitely try and see if you can root it this winter. Just keep the soil dry unless you are actually getting roots. The worst that will happen is it will just sit there until spring.
I'll give it a shot. :thumbright:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If you can provide enough heat, it should work.
Spence :mrgreen:
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Sometimes you can even try and put the broken part back onto the part that it broke off of and if you try and get it to stay in the spot without moving while it heals it might actually fuse itself back together, I've heard of some people doing it before when a piece broke off, not to sure about it being yours size, but you never kno! Goodluck reguardless
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

KittieKAT wrote:Sometimes you can even try and put the broken part back onto the part that it broke off of and if you try and get it to stay in the spot without moving while it heals it might actually fuse itself back together, I've heard of some people doing it before when a piece broke off, not to sure about it being yours size, but you never kno! Goodluck reguardless
I've just repotted it to try to get it to produce roots and eventually have a second complete cactus. It's right by a heater in the living room, so I'm hoping for the best. :)