Is winter-rest a necessity for Cactus?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
gehcole

Is winter-rest a necessity for Cactus?

Post by gehcole »

IMG_0728 (Small).JPG
IMG_0728 (Small).JPG (54.68 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
Recently I moved to Cancun, Mexico and brought my cactus collection with me. The climate conditions are very different and I am at a loss when watering is concerned. The temperature stays above 82 F (28 C) all year round. We have a very high humidity, about 85%. But somewhat less daylight from October to March. I know that these are no ideal circumstances for desert cactus, but that is what I have. So, here is my question: How often should I water the cactus during the warm season (April - September) with 94 F (34 C) and the cold season (October - March with) 82 F (28 C)? Is a winter-rest really necessary? I would very much appreciate your help. At least I can offer this Echinopsis-bloom.
Steve Johnson

Re: Is winter-rest a necessity for Cactus?

Post by Steve Johnson »

gehcole wrote:Recently I moved to Cancun, Mexico and brought my cactus collection with me. The climate conditions are very different and I am at a loss when watering is concerned. The temperature stays above 82 F (28 C) all year round. We have a very high humidity, about 85%. But somewhat less daylight from October to March. I know that these are no ideal circumstances for desert cactus, but that is what I have. So, here is my question: How often should I water the cactus during the warm season (April - September) with 94 F (34 C) and the cold season (October - March with) 82 F (28 C)? Is a winter-rest really necessary? I would very much appreciate your help. At least I can offer this Echinopsis-bloom.
Ah, interesting question. Prior to this year, my answer would've been "sorry, but I don't know". However, I went through an unusually warm, dry winter with daytime highs constantly in the 70s and 80s. I figured that my cacti would start growing well before March. But the fact that they didn't leads me to only one conclusion -- the shorter hours of daylight in wintertime. With that said...

I used to be one of those people who believed that desert cacti shouldn't get any water at all in winter. However, I changed my thinking after Craig from C and D Plants shared his experience on winter watering care with me. Basically what I've been doing is to give my cacti some occasional light watering November-January. In my case every 3-4 weeks timed by warm spells. February is the coldest month of the year in SoCal, so I'll tend to be very careful about whether or not I'll water them at all. I don't think you'll have that problem to consider in Cancun, although it depends on your overnight lows during winter. While some growers claim that light watering in winter doesn't do anything for desert cacti, I've found that it certainly does -- less shriveling, and the plants will tell you that the growing season may start sooner than you think. Of course that applies only to Mediterranean-type climates such as mine (and Craig's), so I'm able to do things that growers in colder climates can't. While I don't know your climate well enough, my gut instinct says that it fits the profile for careful light watering care in winter.

Okay, there are 2 levels of watering I define as sips and soaks. Sips are when I break out the spray bottle, set the nozzle on stream (not mist), and aim water down around the base of the plant to moisten the mix without drenching it. That's for winter. Then in spring and summer, it's nothing but full on soaks when I see water coming out the drain hole like a faucet. Watering frequency depends on species -- once a week for some, every 2 weeks for others, and I'm very careful about not letting my Turbs blow up like beach balls. While this is somewhat of an oversimplification describing my watering routine in the growing season, I think you get the idea. Also, please bear in mind that I have the vast majority of my cacti in a pumice/decomposed granite mix with the DG "play sand" fines sifted out to yield a fairly coarse mineral aggregate. If you're using soil in your mix, you may have to modify your watering approach accordingly. Such being the case, unfortunately I can't give you any guidance, so you'll just have to use your best judgment. Maybe Ian's advice can help you a bit -- "when in doubt, don't!"

Hope this helps. By the way -- lovely Echinopsis bloom you have there!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
gehcole

Post by gehcole »

great. Thanks a lot.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I know a lot of growers in Thailand that are very successful growing certain cacti. It is a bit warmer climate than yours overall, but both are tropical. If anything the slightly cooler nights you get will expand the number of cacti that do well for you. Melocactus and Uebelmannia, or any of the Caribbean and eastern Brazilian cacti should do fantastic. They like more tropical weather. Astrophytum does great too. I think North American cacti and Chilean cacti will be tougher as they either want an actual cool winter or they come from areas that don't stay hot. The most successful growers there have a greenhouse or at least a covered area to grow the plants in order to control watering.

If Hendry is still around he might have some insight as well as he practically lives on the equator in Indonesia.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Just to "round out" winter growing experiences ....................

I mostly grow cacti endemic to north eastern Brazil, especially from the state of Bahia.

As a result of habitat reports from several expeditions to the cactus growing regions of north eastern Brazil in recent years, I have revised the treatment of my cacti from that region. I now maintain my plants at a minimum temperature of 40°F (4°C). I now also water my plants more copiously and frequently during the hot summer months, while keeping them quite dry during the winter. It is reported that the climate of the interior of north eastern Brazil is characterized by very hot and wet summers with daytime temperatures often in excess of 100°F (38°C) and a great abundance of rainfall. The winter dry season is characterized by great aridity with hardly any rainfall - daytime temperatures are in the 70°F+ (21°C+) range and the night time temperature's in the 50°F-60°F (10°C-16°C) range.

Thus my Brazilian cacti do not require a winter cold resting period - winter dormancy for them results from the very dry conditions they experience during this time (described as a period of great aridity in their habitat). Therefor they only receive occasional spraying or misting or very light watering during this time to prevent shriveling and maintain general plant health.

This link is too the most comprehensive climate information (temperature & rainfall) resource for the State of Bahia I have been able to find. The left hand side vertical navigation panel provides access to just about any relevant statistical climate data imaginable.

During cold days, and at night during the winter months, I maintain my small growing Brazilians indoors on a south facing windowsill. On sunny winter days when the temperature rises to around 70°F (21°C) - which happens quite frequently in southern Arizona - they go outside on the patio under 30% shade cloth, coming inside as the temperature drops at nightfall. With the arrival of spring - when the daytime temperature climbs into the 80'sF (mid 20'sC) and the nighttime temperatures are 50°F (11°C) or so they stay outside until the arrival once again of winter temperatures.

James
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As Saxicola and James say all cacti are not created equal since they have a very large geographical and altitudinal range in habitat, meaning they are adapted to many different climates.

Some high altitude cacti do not flower very well if they do not get a cool winter rest period. They have cool winter rest periods in habitat, whereas other cacti simply have dry season rest periods, even though the weather may be warm enough for growth if watered. In the end it really comes down to growing what does best in your conditions and with your cultivation methods. There are usually some species that sulk and do not perform well for all of us unless we can provide controlled daylight and temperature conditions to grow them in, which most amateurs cannot and even botanical gardens struggle to do.

The problem growing plants used to cooler winter rest periods in warm climates is you often get untypical less densely spined growth where more of the plant body is visible between the spination due to them growing 12 months of the year, but Melocactus and James's Brazilian's will simply love it and grow quite naturally.

In the UK tropical cacti are harder for us to grow unless extra heat is provided, whereas high altitude plants that need a cooler winter rest usually do well. The reverse would seem to be your case?