Calibanus hookeri question

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
emilleejoyce

Calibanus hookeri question

Post by emilleejoyce »

After pining away for a calibanus hookeri for an entire year, I finally bought one. However, I'm not sure when this plant goes dormant. Does it grow in summer or winter? Both of my other caudiciforms (dioscorea elephantipes & Fouquieria columnaris) are fall/winter growers and I'm thinking my calibanus will be the same but I was hoping to hear from someone with a little more experience.
Aiko

Re: Calibanus hookeri question

Post by Aiko »

I treat it as a summer grower. I keep it in the greenhouse, but I know many keep it outside. So it can take quite a lot of water, probably. I keep it on the 'normal' dryer side.

In winter I keep it dry for a few months, and keep it in an unheated room when during frosts the temperature will be between around 5C. Which is fine for almost all my succulents. In winter the 'leaves' will dry out and you can pick them out. During spring and summer they will regrow again.
Saxicola

Re: Calibanus hookeri question

Post by Saxicola »

It is a summer grower. Almost all the winter growers you find in cultivation will be from South Africa (there are exceptions like Dudleya). I planted mine in the ground last spring and it grew quite nicely all summer.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants