i grew a bunch of cacti from seed...now what?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
TDP

i grew a bunch of cacti from seed...now what?

Post by TDP »

IMG_5742.jpg
IMG_5742.jpg (91.7 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Hi everyone,

Earlier this year, my 4 yo son and I bought a packet of assorted cactus seeds to grow. I figured that only a few would make it but as you can see from the photo, we did better than I could have hoped. Now they average just under an inch in height. I still have them helter skelter in this container that I cover with plastic and mist them every few days to keep the soil slightly moist. How long do I leave them like this? When should I start repotting them in small clusters? When do they not need to be moistened every few days? Should I do anything different over the winter? I want to give some to friends but don't want the gift cacti to promptly die.

Thanks for your guidance!
Rod Smith

Re: i grew a bunch of cacti from seed...now what?

Post by Rod Smith »

Overwintering first year cacti can be problematic. Some growers keep them growing all winter but to do that you need warmth and plenty of bright light, otherwise they etiolate. For the past couple of years I've overwintered mine in my heated greenhouse (heated to keep the temperature at a minimum of 3 -4 degrees C (38 -40 deg F)). Although I've lost a few this way, enough have survived to give me confidence that this is the best way for me. When I have tried to overwinter in a cool room indoors I have lost most of them to rot. I have two fans in my greenhouse. One is on permanently, blowing air at the ambient temperature, which helps to prevent stagnant air from forming - and it deters mould formation. One disadvantage in growing mixed cacti together is that some might need different conditions from others. Hopefully this won't cause you a problem. In my experience with mixed seed, Ferocacti are the most resilient.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
TDP

Post by TDP »

Rod, thanks so much for your insight and advice. I should be able to keep them about 60 deg F with reasonable amounts of light. The types of cacti I have will have to be my next question. I am not even sure which ones I have. Is it obvious that I am an amateur grower? ;-)
Rod Smith

Post by Rod Smith »

TDP wrote:The types of cacti I have will have to be my next question. I am not even sure which ones I have. Is it obvious that I am an amateur grower? ;-)
Yours seem to be a well mixed bunch. A lot of them seem to be Cereus types (tall growing) but there appear to be quite a few different species in the mix. It's almost impossible to tell species apart when they are so small. After another year or two it will be easier. By the way, most of us are amateurs!
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, looks like an interesting assortment. Don't worry about IDs until you see which ones survive. Mighty hard to tell at this age.
Spence :mrgreen: