Leaning Mamm

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
oldcat61

Re: Leaning Mamm

Post by oldcat61 »

Iann - you mentioned tall - how tall? I don't think of mamms as columns. And to cactushobbyman : watering is never my problem, I should have ferns instead. Sue
7george

Post by 7george »

If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
iann

Post by iann »

oldcat61 wrote:Iann - you mentioned tall - how tall? I don't think of mamms as columns. And to cactushobbyman : watering is never my problem, I should have ferns instead. Sue
Easily over a foot. Maybe two if you could keep it upright and not chop it.
--ian
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Thanks, Iann. A foot would be cool. I'll have to measure mine tomorrow. Sue
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Reviving one of my old threads to add funny new pictures. The mamm in the original post is fine (almost straight) but I acquired a second leaner. Well this guy is long past the leaning point. Found it growing across another 2 plants at an estate sale. Had to give it a home. Used an herb planter with a pile of rocks for support. In the front view, my hubby thinks it needs paper ears & maybe a little doggie nose.
Attachments
LayDownMamm.jpg
LayDownMamm.jpg (86.5 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
LayDown MammNose.jpg
LayDown MammNose.jpg (39.71 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Two reasons usually for leaning. One it is they are getting top heavy and as plants are seldom exactly upright, therefore when they get long and heavy they tend to lean further in that direction, with some species eventually becoming prostrate with the end turned upwards, as with some scrambling Cerei. Here's one Daiv posted years ago of Stenocereus eruca:-

http://www.cactiguide.com/graphics/s_eruca_b_600.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Growing small plants we often forget such decumbent growth is perfectly normal when plants lengthen, as in habitat:-

http://www.cactusinhabitat.org/index.ph ... id=93&l=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other of course is plants leaning towards the light because tissue on the light side grows slower than that on the dark side. Which is why in low light situations they lean towards the window light.
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Both of my leaners were GH grown with plenty of light. The first one, that I had since young, actually leaned away from the light. I straightened it when re-potting but after getting the second large guy, I suspect it will lean again as it grows. Sue
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Mamms lack the woody structure that columnars have, but they elongate as they age, so it's common for them to become prostrate when they get old.
Spence :mrgreen: