Degrafting advice?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
oldcat61

Re: Degrafting advice?

Post by oldcat61 »

Dave W - Our culm piles are just low grade coal/coal dust. Sometimes they catch fire & burn for decades. The smoke has caused whole communities to be abandoned. My silly comments were just an attempt at humor. I wasn't suggesting growing cactus in coal dust & cinders. Sue
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

You know what I was thinking of this, my dad still has a coal fire and as a result of years of coal fires and mining slag its everywhere so not difficult to get hold of. Got to be worth experimenting with.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Doesn't anybody get that I was Making a Joke? Stop already or Steve Johnson will start a six month analysis of peroxide/coal dust in various ph solutions. Sue
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

At least I got the joke, Sue! Good one about the peroxide/coal dust analysis. Sounds like something I might be tempted to do, huh? But please don't let anyone give me ideas -- I come up with too many on my own as it is! :lol:
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Luv Ya Steve! Someone who can laugh, even at himself. Says the woman who should have ferns because she likes to water. Sue
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You obviously don't need greenhouses heating where you are Sue or you would be out there digging some up! An old member of ours who was a coalminer used to heat his 20ft greenhouse for free with coal slack (about 1/2" down to dust) in a Beeston Greenhouse Boiler running hot water pipes all around the greenhouse. Miners in those days got a free issue of coal therefore seldom burned the small coal or slack on their house fires but needed to clean it out of their coal stores periodically when it built up. They only used it for things like covering their garden paths or giving it away to friends like our old member. We used to envy his large free heated greenhouse when we all had to pay to buy expensive paraffin to heat our small ones, and paraffin was cheap in those days compared to now when it's too expensive to use anymore.
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

oldcat61 wrote:Doesn't anybody get that I was Making a Joke? Stop already or Steve Johnson will start a six month analysis of peroxide/coal dust in various ph solutions. Sue
I appreciated the local humor! Good to see another coalcracker here. I'm 30 miles north of W-B. Many of the piles are gone and the fires are out (in the upper valley), so the area doesn't stink (literally, anyway) like it used to. 8)
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Dave - I had enough heating with coal as a child; wouldn't care if it were free now. My GH is a lean-to off my dining room, so it's pretty easy to heat by keeping the windows open. When it gets real cold( we were down to 4F last winter ) I turn on the electric space heater. Compared to the hot tub & koi pond, I don't think it adds much to my bill. And BTW, I know nothing about grafting. Good luck, Zhanna.