Advice on New Plants?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
blondeofthedead

Advice on New Plants?

Post by blondeofthedead »

So my roommate got me started on a cacti/succulent kick just before she moved out about a month ago. She left me this hanging Portulacaria afra, which I've got set up a couple feet from a south-facing window. I've been watering it about once a week whenever the soil feels dry and turning it every few days so both sides can get sun, and it's been showing me some new growth, some of which you can see a little better in the second picture.
IMG_20140917_200740254.jpg
IMG_20140917_200740254.jpg (47.13 KiB) Viewed 677 times
IMG_20140917_200807670.jpg
IMG_20140917_200807670.jpg (42.9 KiB) Viewed 677 times
A few days ago at Walmart I checked out the garden center to find most of their cacti in miserable conditions from overwatering, but I did find a healthy-looking Parodia magnificus that I took home. Of course, it had one of those gross straw flowers stuck on it with a glob of glue that was almost the same size, but one slightly unpleasant haircut later it was looking much better.
IMG_20140917_201148946.jpg
IMG_20140917_201148946.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 677 times
My questions are: for the Portulacaria, should I continue this kind of watering/lighting? At what point would it be a good idea to start winding down for the winter? AS for the cactus, I know I should repot it into a better material, I'm not sure if should I get a bigger pot or what kind of substrate to use (especially on a college student's budget). Really any advice would be appreciated, since I'd love to start collecting cacti but I'm pretty new to all this. Thanks!
- Blondie
HairyHarry

Re: Advice on New Plants?

Post by HairyHarry »

As for the Portulacaria.
As the soil feels dry is a good start. but make sure it is dry. Once a week is usually fine, but depends on the particular conditions. You should give it a trial. Wait for the leaves to become slightly wrinkled. That period of time minus a day or two is perfect.

Rather than go dormant they simply slow down in low winter light. You can repeat the above trial every season to see if you are still on the right track. If you depend on the roots to dry out the soil, the period will probably be about 1,5x that of summer. On the other hand, if the soil dries out as well from central heating, there might not be too much of a difference.

There is no need to turn the plant that often. I even think the plant would like you to do it less often. Plants are very nervous creatures who don't like change. Simply show off the prettiest side. If that means the other sides grows nicer, you can turn it by the time that side has become the better-looking-side. Every 6 months or so, tops.

As for the cactus. It seems fine in that pot, for the time being. But to be 100%sure I/we should know more about the soil.
Water carefully. Spent your money on another nice cactus. When you have a few cacti, and decide you are hooked, that is the time reflect on the best possible soil. Wait til spring.