Hydroponics Drain to Waste windowsill/patio cactus growing

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Steve Johnson

Re: Hydroponics Drain to Waste windowsill/patio cactus growi

Post by Steve Johnson »

jp29 wrote:Please do not do that, Steve - you do contribute so much thought provoking information.
Thanks, James -- my reputation for being "Mr. OCD" sometimes gets me in trouble, and I shouldn't have overreacted. Even better would've been if I reminded myself that you have a much longer track record of good cactus-growing than I do before I put up a detailed post which really wasn't apropos to your particular approach.

Since I've had a few inquiries about sharing my success with acidification, I'll post a new thread on the Cultivation forum. If I can keep my tendency toward blathering under control, then whatever I have to say may be helpful if my experience is of some benefit. I also don't want to be the author of misinformation -- such being the case, I hope that you're still willing to have Dr. Wheeler run a test in his lab comparing the results between a pH meter and the type of colorimetric indicator kit under discussion. This isn't merely to satisfy my curiosity, because the results and their implications will have to be reported before we know whether or not there are major discrepancies in the methods people use when they acidify their water. While Dr. Buxbaum's book is excellent even after all these years, digital pen-style pH meters hadn't been invented yet, and the meters available to hobbyists these days are much simpler than the elaborate lab equipment he would've basically described. Much less expensive too, although it depends on selecting a meter that produces reliable results. Without going off-track about the relative merits of different meters one can buy, I'll just state that since people should know they have a choice between using a pH meter and a colorimetric indicator, any major discrepancies between the two need to be factored into what I present.
jp29 wrote:I think you are getting far too wrapped up into Ph testing accuracy, Steve. There are simply too many fluctuations in pH values throughout any given day to require that degree of accuracy.
You may have misunderstood me, and I'll have to own that one. The desired pH for acidified water ranges from 5.0 to 6.0, so that's a big enough range to work with regardless of having to worry about day-to-day fluctuations in the pH of our tap water. The exercise I went through in my (overly) detailed post was merely a demonstration. What I do in real practice is less complicated than you perhaps thought, and the final pH of my acidified water/fertilizer solution is somewhere within that desired range. By the way -- while I'm satisfied with the results of my initial slurry test, I'll run another one which I'll discuss at the appropriate time. I do agree that the pH of what comes out could be as important as what goes in, especially to growers who add limestone (or in some cases Gypsum) in their mixes for certain cacti.

I'd be grateful for any light Dr. Wheeler can shed on the pH meter vs. colorimetric indicator tests, and when I cobble my acidified water presentation together, I'll definitely put the results to good use for whoever is interested.

Thanks for bearing with me, my friend.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
jp29

Post by jp29 »

I don't think many people noticed it, but I had my eighty fifth birthday on the 28th of this month - and I think this is a good time to retire from active participation in all Forums and Message Boards (not just C&S). I mentioned previously the difficulty I experience writing contributions, so I will resort to "lurking" status and maybe make the occasional short post.
K.W. wrote:.......... all my plants (5 to 6.000) are growing in pumice, water from above, fertilizer and acetic acid at every watering, ph 5,5. I think they're fine, 95% .............
I have now visited your pages numerous times, K.W. and I continue to be amazed by the quality of your plants - attested too by the daily accolades rendered by so many outstanding growers in their own right.
Brunãozinho wrote:That's some valuable information, it's great to get to know more from the reports of experienced growers and I'm thankful to those who share their knowledge.
Thank you Bruno. There is indeed a wealth of valuable information so unselfishly provided by some very experienced C&S enthusiasts on this Forum.
Steve Johnson wrote:.......... I'll post a new thread on the Cultivation forum ........... I hope that you're still willing to have Dr. Wheeler run a test in his lab comparing the results between a pH meter and the type of colorimetric indicator kit under discussion ...........
That is a good idea, Steve - I am sure you will do a good job. I am not going to bother Jerald with testing - he is gone most of the time and very busy with his projects when he is here.

Well, that is (I hope) my last long post.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

jp29 wrote:Well, that is (I hope) my last long post.
I've enjoyed your photo presentations quite a bit, so I'll certainly miss them. Congrats on your 85th birthday, and best of luck as you keep your wonderful cactus collection going! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Robb

Post by Robb »

jp29 wrote:Well, that is (I hope) my last long post.
Congratulations on 85! I hope you continue to have a presence on the forums, I find your Melocactus cultivation posts fascinating.
Steve, I think most people in this hobby are at least a little OCD :wink: .
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.