Lighting questions

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
catlady

Lighting questions

Post by catlady »

I've been trying to choose only cacti that will do well with less light, since I have only an east-facing window to put them in. Most of them seem to be doing well, but some of them (a couple of the ones I got before I knew what I was doing or where to find light requirements) seem like they could use a couple more hours of light than they get in the mornings.

I'm not looking for anything super fancy, just something clip-on that I can move between shelves to give them each an extra hour or two of light (I have a baker's rack with wire shelving that they are set up on right now). Would something like this work, if I got two of them? http://smile.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-LKIT6 ... lant+light" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or is there something better (but still fairly cheap) out there?
CactusFanDan

Re: Lighting questions

Post by CactusFanDan »

Those kinds of lights tend to give out too much heat and infrared radiation and can worsen the problem. Using fluorescent lights is a much better idea in my opinion. You can use CFLs or tubes if you like and 'cool white' seems like the best kind of bulb to use. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
catlady

Post by catlady »

Thank you very much! I will narrow my search a bit. :)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

There is an article on lighting on this web site:-

http://cactiguide.com/article/?article=article17.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
catlady

Post by catlady »

I'm having problems finding fluorescent tubes that would clip on to a wire rack, and I just don't have the space for a big hydroponics-type set-up. My ceilings are too high to install a tube above my cactus rack, and I think that would violate my lease anyway, lol.

I know the article says CFL bulbs are less efficient, but since my plants are getting direct light in the mornings and indirect light all day, do you think I could get CFL bulbs and clip-on fixtures like this: http://smile.amazon.com/Woods-0151-8-5- ... R01YQJYJ00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, I just want to make sure I'm not going to be wasting money on something that won't work. I really just want to get some more light onto the backs of the plants (I do rotate, but I don't feel like it's enough) and compensate a little for the lower afternoon light. I'm not looking for anything major, I only have 15 cacti, and with three exceptions they are all ones that do well in light shade or partial sunlight, according to the Internet.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

A CFL with that fixture would work nicely in my opinion. CFLs are best for illuminating smaller spaces. Tubes are better for larger areas. An alternative to hanging a tube fitting from the ceiling would be to make a shelf above the plants and affix the light fixture to that, but that's probably a bit excessive for your setup. The CFL should work nicely.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
catlady

Post by catlady »

Perfect, thank you so much for the help and advice!