Pale greenish yellow cactus

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
willow

Pale greenish yellow cactus

Post by willow »

Hello All.
Im fairly new on here but I wonder if anyone can advise? I have been "lurking" to see if anyone else had a similar problem?
I have a very small collection all growing in a very hot and sunny conservatory. The cactus is an Aztekium Hintonii and about 2 cms in diameter, it otherwise is doing alright, and is growing in a terracotta "long Tom" pot about 6cms in diameter. I water when soil is dry and that's approximately once weekly. The soil is a mix 2 parts John Innes compost , the rest made up of sharp course sand sandstone chippings, red baked clay cat litter. Could the poor little thing be sunburned? I have moved it to a shaded part of the conservatory and move it back in the morning sun. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Unfortunately I still have yet to master posting photos!
My others are doing fine in the very hot conservatory one has been flowering for weeks!
Many thanks in advance :)
Willow
Brunãozinho

Re: Pale greenish yellow cactus

Post by Brunãozinho »

Hi there.

A picture would help a lot. This could be sunburn or even other things like root damage.
You can see a tutorial of how to upload pictures to your post here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruno
willow

Post by willow »

Many thanks for the reply and link to photo posting tutorial.
willow

Post by willow »

Hello Bruno, Heres a photo of my yellow green Aztekium hope it comes out alright!
Attachments
Resized pic of Aztekiun Hintonii August 2014 1.jpg
Resized pic of Aztekiun Hintonii August 2014 1.jpg (71.96 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

I think it doesn't look bad.
If it gets back the greener color after being moved to a shadier place then it could be the sun that was causing the yellow color. I hope it grows healthy. Maybe other members will give their opinions about this. Keep us informed. :)
Bruno
willow

Post by willow »

Thanks Bruno for your reply. It is only 2 cms in diameter so it could be regarded as a seedling! Will keep you updated on its progress! Thankyou
Willow
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Looks normal colour to me from your photo? Yours should not be that far off flowering size, they produce bristly spines at the top when ready.

Mine is a similar colour to yours and flowers OK.
hintonii.jpg
hintonii.jpg (97.49 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Interesting that mine produces quite a few felty flecks on the epidermis (a bit like Astrophytum) though most do not, although some others evidently do show them at the base if you scroll down this link:-

http://plantes-passion.forumactif.fr/t1 ... -de-cactus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Looks pretty good, really. They're supposed to be gray-green in color.
Spence :mrgreen:
willow

Post by willow »

Thankyou Davew, I can stop fretting now! Mine has no fuzzy felt on epidermis and mostly bare. I did not grow from seed I bought it so cannot take credit for its appearance. I just love the shape of it and look forward to its flowering although may be some time off yet. I just hope I can keep it well over the winter months.
Thankyou also Green Knight Id not realised they were naturally that colour.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Did you get your plant from David Quail (Aristocacti)? I've heard from others that some of his plants suffer from Magnesium deficiency, since he grows these slow growing types in seed trays for the first few years. Perhaps adding a little epsom salts to your next watering would be beneficial. However, upon saying that you plant looks a totally normal colour!
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
willow

Post by willow »

Hello CactusFanDan
I did indeed purchase from Aristocacti. I have another from there and it looks very healthy and more than pleased with both! I was unaware of their natural colour.
Thanks for your reply
Willow