Let's grow some Melocactus!

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
SCS

Re: Let's grow some Melocactus!

Post by SCS »

And speaking of Ralph Martin's field numbers.

When looking at my M. curvispinus, neryi, and peruvianus; they all look the same to me. And, maybe they are in my collection. But who?

M. c = 10-16 ribs, acute, sometimes tuberculate. Fruits 16 - 60 mm. Flowers exserted more than 10 mm above cephalia, opening early to midafternoon.
M. n = 9-15 ribs, sharply acute. Fruits 18-22 mm. Flowers sometimes barely exserted above cephalia
M. p = 8-16 ribs. Fruits 16-25 mm. Flowers exserted well above cephalia.
(This info from Ed Anderson's 'The Cactus Family'.)

So, I thought I would start shopping for plants with field numbers referenced. But.... how to compose a list? Depending on taxonomy used; the possibilities are huge.
I contacted Ralph Martin. I asked if it were possible to get a list of field numbers associated with Melocacti.
He stated that since the database resides on his work computer: he cannot let people run bulk queries against it in general. He suggested I go to IPNI, look at all of the possible synonyms, then search for related field numbers. Too bad; that would be more work than I would want to invest. I can understand though that he would not want to be supporting requests for data format other than what he already provided.

Aside from not knowing where they were purchased; I have a few Melos that I know are mislabeled. For instance, the items in red boxes. The lower right Melo was acquired as M. amoenus; which is supposedly a synonym for neryi. But; it matches 2 other Melos I have, of which - again only one is 'probably' labeled correctly as M. curvispinus. I think all 3, which produce the large red fruit, are M. curvispinus ssp. caesius.

m neryi.jpg
m neryi.jpg (115.52 KiB) Viewed 20699 times
Best regards, Lisa
Shoal Creek Succulents
jp29

Post by jp29 »

I don't think many people noticed it, but I had my eighty fifth birthday on the 28th of this month - and I think this is a good time for me to retire from in-depth participation in all Forums and Message Boards (not just C&S) as I am tired and need to relax more. I mentioned previously the difficulty I experience writing contributions, so I will resort to "lurking" status and maybe make the occasional short post (and photos).

I am still gathering Melocactus fruit for you SCS.
Last edited by jp29 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Your only a youngster yet James, there are men still fathering kids long after your age, and he already has one kid almost your age:-

http://www.presstv.com/detail/2013/07/2 ... -11th-kid/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope you don't stop posting as we like to see your plants.
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Oh I would miss you. I've benefitted from your knowledge & particularly your long-term perspective ( I'm always in a hurry to have a big plant right now). Maybe you could at least give us little updates when you're feeling rested. Sue
jp29

Post by jp29 »

jp29 wrote:.......... I will resort to "lurking" status and maybe make the occasional short post (and photos) ...........
DaveW wrote:Your only a youngster yet James .......... I hope you don't stop posting as we like to see your plants.
Easy for a kid like you to say, Dave :D -- but thanks -- please refer to my introductory quote extract.
oldcat61 wrote:Oh I would miss you. I've benefitted from your knowledge & particularly your long-term perspective ( I'm always in a hurry to have a big plant right now). Maybe you could at least give us little updates when you're feeling rested. Sue
Thank you, Sue -- please refer to my introductory quote extract.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Time to pick your brains again. When I got this melo, it didn't have much for roots so I've worried about it. Just took a new photo & compared to last November. The ceph has grown(taller but not wider) & it's blooming well again, now that it's cooler. Does this mean it's happy & recovered from being bare-rooted & poorly packed for shipping? My gut says it's doing fine. Thanks, Sue
Attachments
1-MeloernestiOct14.jpg
1-MeloernestiOct14.jpg (62.23 KiB) Viewed 20599 times
cactusgrower313

Post by cactusgrower313 »

Hi cactus growers! I have two grafted melocactus curvispinus onto pereskiopsis, is possible to degraft and root?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes it's possible to de-graft any cactus, but with some rooting can be the problem. I would wait until they are fully into growth before doing so for best chance of rooting. See:-

https://mycotopia.net/topic/48522-degra ... eskiopsis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... 1&t=157266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... afting.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remember the months quoted in the Australian links below would be reversed for the Northern Hemisphere since those quoted would be their summer, but for instance the UK winter when you would not to de-graft, so modify to suit your country.

http://forum.auscactiforum.net/t1289-de ... degrafting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forum.auscactiforum.net/t113-deg ... degrafting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

jp29 wrote:I don't think many people noticed it, but I had my eighty fifth birthday on the 28th of this month - and I think this is a good time for me to retire from in-depth participation in all Forums and Message Boards (not just C&S) as I am tired and need to relax more. I mentioned previously the difficulty I experience writing contributions, so I will resort to "lurking" status and maybe make the occasional short post (and photos).

I am still gathering Melocactus fruit for you SCS.

Your posts have been read and appreciated by this beginner -- thanks! Enjoy the lurk, I do! 8-[
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Thank you for posting this wonderful primer on Melocactus cultivation. I can add one little informative tidbit some may find useful. I have had an M. azureus in a pretty sunny spot planted in ground for years. It has endured temps in the high teens covered and mid-twenties uncovered without issue. My plant flowers continuously for 9-10 months of the year. So this one species at least, is not nearly as tender as generally reported.

Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

I just love melocactus so much and really really wish i could get a melocactus azureus.

:)
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Don't laugh, but I bought mine at IKEA. $2.99. Also grabbed two other melos with name tags that I hope were accurate. All have doubled in size. Would have preferred larger mature plants but for that price I grabbed them. Sue
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

I wouldn't laugh I'm envious.When did you get them? Ikea is a very long way from me so I never go.

:)
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Guess I've had them for 2 or 3 years now. Funny part of the story. We were in the candle/silk flower/fake herb section. In the rack next to the fake chives are these cactus in little paper sleeves. Husband says "they look so real" as he picks one up. Four nice long melo spines are now imbedded in his hand. Is Ikea nuts or what? Nice assortment - I bought ten different kinds. They came from Holland & the soil mix was much better than the peat "rocks" you get from Altman. Re-potted easily (IKEA pots too) & all are thriving. Sue
Last edited by oldcat61 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

Great story Sue and good job you found them :)