Repotting tall columnar with very shallow roots

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
fanaticactus

Repotting tall columnar with very shallow roots

Post by fanaticactus »

In repotting most of my cacti into a pumice/DE/grit mix, I know I'll encounter more than one question. This one deals with an 11" tall, 2" wide Trichocereus grandiflorus hybrid with a very small (in comparison) root system. The bulk of the thick roots (and they are healthy) occupies only about 2", with a few longer fibrous ones extending about 4". My question is: What kind of pot should I use that will not tip over because of the height of the Tricho, yet will not be so big in volume that I'll have 6" or so of substrate--way too much for the size of the root system? Should I consider a low, shallow, wide "cactus dish" type of container whose width will prevent it from tipping over from being top-heavy? I realize I would somehow have to prop up the column until the new roots grow wide and strong enough to "anchor" the cactus in place.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
CactusFanDan

Re: Repotting tall columnar with very shallow roots

Post by CactusFanDan »

Bulb bowls or other dishes can be useful, as can bonsai trainer pots (which are way cheaper than the proper ones). You can stake the plant while it develops a good root system too. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Whichever style bowl I chose, I know it must have drainage holes. Problem is that so many bowls I've seen and like are like "cachepots", i.e. no drain holes themselves--just attractive pieces of pottery in which to place the real pot.
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

I put my big plants in nice ceramic pots I get at the big box stores. However, I always drill out several holes in the bottom of the pot. It can be done. Use a cement/mortar drill bit.
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Thanks for the idea, Barry. I'm going to Lowe's today for several things. I'll look at whatever pots they have. I'm also going to the Yankee Dollar store, where I can always find great cheap stuff! :D
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Stuck my reply here since you posted twice:-

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=33874" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;