Is this pot too tall

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Blue Trilobyte

Is this pot too tall

Post by Blue Trilobyte »

Hey everyone. I have a large barrel cactus (species unknown) that's needed repotting for a while now. After going through all the pots I had handy (I always save pots from garden and landscaping purchases) this was the smallest one I could find that was bigger than the previous pot.
WP_20140721_00_06_47_Pro.jpg
WP_20140721_00_06_47_Pro.jpg (21.2 KiB) Viewed 933 times
The previous pot was about 2/3 the height and the same diameter. I filled about one inch of the bottom of the new pot with marble chips to offset the height. I still feel its way too big though. If anything I could put it back in its old pot; one way or another the cactus really needed new soil. I'd appreciate any advice, this is easily the biggest cactus in my collection and I want it to be nice and healthy.
[Kaktus]
CrazyPlantLady

Re: Is this pot too tall

Post by CrazyPlantLady »

I'm still a rookie when it comes to cactus care, but I think that pot might be too tall for that cactus. To me, that species looks similar to one my mother has, Pilosocerus azureus. She's had hers for over 25 years and it's about 3' tall. If this species grows like the Pilosocerus azureus, you're going to need a much shorter pot with a wider base to give it support.
It doesn't suck to succulent!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's fine. Ferocactus plants have a tap root, so deep pots are best.
Spence :mrgreen:
iann

Post by iann »

You should know the answer to the question, since you just repotted it. Did the roots fill the pot, or at least come close? If so, no problem. If not, problem :)

About what it is, I don't think Ferocactus. Is it an Echinocactus? Or a columnar as CPL suggests?
--ian
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Looks like Ferocactus glaucescens to me. I'd say that pot is too tall and the bottom two inches might never be utilised in that plant's lifetime. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog