Geohintonia mexicana mix

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Saguaro123

Geohintonia mexicana mix

Post by Saguaro123 »

I need to repot my Geohintonia mexicana, and I found out they need a higher mineral content. Is a mix with 50% gypsum and 50% regular cactus mix (1/2 pumice, 1/8 lava rock, <1/8 peat moss, 1/4 super soil) recommended?
Steve Johnson

Re: Geohintonia mexicana mix

Post by Steve Johnson »

Saguaro123 wrote:I need to repot my Geohintonia mexicana, and I found out they need a higher mineral content. Is a mix with 50% gypsum and 50% regular cactus mix (1/2 pumice, 1/8 lava rock, <1/8 peat moss, 1/4 super soil) recommended?
Not sure why you would need to make it that complicated. I have a Geohintonia in pumice/DG mix (coarse aggregate, I sift out the DG "play sand" fines first), and it's growing well for me thus far. So-called "calcium lovers" in the wild grow where they do because they're adapted to alkaline soils that won't support other plant life. Doesn't necessarily mean that these cacti will exhibit unnatural growth if we don't supplement their potting medium with gypsum or limestone. Just my 2 cents, so it's really up to you.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Geohintonia grows on gypsum for the reason Steve says. I have read that Geohintonia's will not tolerate limestone in the potting mix (unlike Ariocarpus etc). People often confuse the two thinking plants growing on either gypsum or limestone means the plants require an alkaline soil, whereas those on gypsum may not.

The fact they can grow well in different potting mixes means they probably don't need gypsum, but it will do no harm adding it in small amounts. However I have not actually tested whether they actually are averse to limestone in the mix, only read the following:-

"Geohintonia loves calcium, but if limestone is added to the potting mix the plant will simply die. It seems not to tolerate the alkaline reaction of limestone. In nature this plant grows on gypsum which generates a neutral pH, or, depending on the other impurities found, even slightly acid"

http://www.cactusnursery.co.uk/ph.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

I got my one in a mainly mineral mix wth both limestone and gypsum(alabaster chippings), red granite chippings and then some loamy soil. It grows quite quickly this mix and it drains quickly too.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Thanks for your input everyone!

However, what is the proportion of your mix, adetheproducer?
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

about 15% limestone, 15% alabaster(gypsum), 40% red granite chippings and the rest loamy soil, but I would stress the ratios are not fixed, this works for me in my local temperature, humidity and watering regimes.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

I grow my Geo's in the same mix as all my other cacti and they're doing great - 20% 'organics' and the rest 'mineral' with some additives. Overall an acidic mix with no limestone or gypsum. I don't like to waste my time making fanciful soil mixes. :wink: They're not as difficult as they're passed off to be as long as you apply common sense (if it doesn't look like it's thirsty, it probably isn't).
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

I decided to pot it in my regular cactus mix without the gypsum. Thanks for all your feedback!