Time to transplant?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
brandohobbit89

Time to transplant?

Post by brandohobbit89 »

Hello all, it's been a while! Hope you and your cactus kin have been enjoying life. I just had a couple questions about my Opuntia Ficus-indicas... Well they are about two and a half months post-germination and I was wondering if they are supposed to be growing as pencil-like, as I like to call it, or is that from stressful stretching from not being close enough to the lights? And secondly, if the way they are growing is healthy, is it time to replant in a bigger and better pot? Thanks for reading and any advise would be much appreciated!
Attachments
Of course one of my huskies had to photobomb me!
Of course one of my huskies had to photobomb me!
image.jpg (28.37 KiB) Viewed 956 times
iann

Re: Time to transplant?

Post by iann »

They need more light. They aren't being stunted by being overcrowded, but they grow fast so would probably make use of more root space. Get them some sun though.
--ian
brandohobbit89

Post by brandohobbit89 »

Ok so I re-potted them yesterday into an 8 inch clay pot and I have some more questions for anyone who can answer them. Thank you, iann for your advise. I swear they've turned greener in just the day they've been outside. Too bad it's overcast today!! Anywho... Do I hold off on watering for a while now? I've read on some sites that it can be best to just leave them alone for a few days to be come acquainted with their new home. Also, how much water do they need while they're still small like they are now? Keep the soil wet? Or let it dry out between watering? And lastly, when do fertilizers come into play? Now? Or later when they've matured more? I'm guessing later since the aren't even 6 months since sprouting. Thanks all!
iann

Post by iann »

It is common practice to leave a repotted cactus dry for a while. That won't harm them, while there is some risk on watering them immediately. Once they settle in, standard cactus watering advice is to let them dry out, then water deeply, assuming it is reasonably warm and sunny. Most large padded Opuntias are fairly tolerant and grow best with regular water, although they'll certainly survive being dry. Fertilising will also help them, but don't over-fertilise. You probably don't need to fertilise at all until next year since you've just stuck them in some nice fresh soil.

You might also need to protect them from strong sun for a few weeks. The etiolated growth will scorch very easily, although that might be for the best because it won't support good growth anyway. Hopefully new pads will grow that are flat and round and they'll be much healthier.
--ian
brandohobbit89

Post by brandohobbit89 »

Right on! Thanks for dropping by again, iann! I really appreciate the words of advise to a noob like me! #-o
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I second what Ian says about protecting them from sun. Simply going from indoors (even under lights) to full but bright outdoor shade will be a big step up in light levels. So they will start benefiting immediately, then over time slowly introduce them to direct sun. Morning sun is much better than afternoon sun to start with.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants