color on Loph

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
oldcat61

color on Loph

Post by oldcat61 »

I've had this little Loph for about a year. It's bloomed several times but has always had a dull gray/light green color. Compared to other posts, especially K.W. 's collection, it looks sickly. Checked the roots; more than when I bought it. No bug damage noted. I've tried more/less sun with no change. Do I have a problem or is this just a "boring" variation? They're hard to get here, so I want to give it the best care. Sue
Attachments
1-Loph 2014.jpg
1-Loph 2014.jpg (54.62 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Steve Johnson

Re: color on Loph

Post by Steve Johnson »

I'm no expert on the genus, but the skin looks healthy to me. (Like that flower too!) Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I believe that Lophs tend to scorch under full sun. If I'm right, yours will want some shade, especially during the hottest time of the day in summer.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
iann

Re: color on Loph

Post by iann »

Looks OK to me. Maybe a touch thirsty but certainly not in any danger. Grow them in a propagator and you can have nice bright green ones :) I recommend you don't though.

Here's a blue-grey L. williamsii and a greener L. koehresii. Neither is pristine but both are healthy.
williamsii-0426.jpg
williamsii-0426.jpg (69.18 KiB) Viewed 474 times
koehresii-0531.jpg
koehresii-0531.jpg (70.73 KiB) Viewed 474 times
--ian