When to Use Liquid Fertilizer

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Aichybatoal

Re: When to Use Liquid Fertilizer

Post by Aichybatoal »

Yes, I saw that the other day!! I think it's 15-10-10, but I figured it had too much nitrogen, so I passed! Do you guys think that 15-10-10 is balanced enough? Or maybe it was 10-10-15... I don't remember.
Don't underestimate the Dancing Boomerang Clam.
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

I haven't looked at the Schultz or Ortho fetilizers for some timie so I'm not sure if they use Urea for a nitrogen source. No matter what the source, if you have a mneral mix, most of the nitrogen is going run out of the bottom of the pot so It is hard to get too much nitrogen unless you use something with a high amount at every watering without leaching.
If the nitrogen source is Urea than even more of it is "wasted" and not used by the plant unless the mix in the pot stays moist. Orchid growers in mineral mixes and/or bark found this out long ago. I would use the 15-10-10 fert or African violet 6-9-5. mentioned above without hesitation but there are probably better cactus fertilizers out there.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Found this whilst cleaning out my Favourites of dead links:-

http://www.bcss-liverpool.pwp.blueyonde ... part_1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aichybatoal

Post by Aichybatoal »

Wow, look at that! That's perfect! Thanks a ton for that link!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The Schultz African Violet Food I found was 8-14-9. Apparently it does contain urea.
Spence :mrgreen:
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

I haven't fertilised any of my plants in the past year, since my soil mix contains some time-release fertiliser. I have some magnesium phosphate-based fertiliser for when I decide that they probably need some extra nutrition (probably not for a while still).
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Aichybatoal

Post by Aichybatoal »

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I found some African Violet liquid food from Miracle-Gro that's 7-7-7! I think I'll use that when I run out of my other stuff.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Aichybatoal wrote:Sorry to revive this old thread, but I found some African Violet liquid food from Miracle-Gro that's 7-7-7! I think I'll use that when I run out of my other stuff.
Lucky-lucky-luck -- use it! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)