Soil Mix Check

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Aichybatoal

Soil Mix Check

Post by Aichybatoal »

I've been repotting my cacti with a soil mix that I found on this site, using mostly pearlite, regular soil, and coir, with some Osmocite fertilizer and bone meal added in, too. It's been working real nice for all three of my cacti. Now, I'm adding a fourth cactus to my collection, and I'm just wanting to re-check to make certain that a soil mix using the previously mentioned ingredients is a desirable mix for the following cacti: Golden Barrel, Bunny Ears, Balloon, and Pilocereus Chrysacanthus. I know that none of these is an epiphytic cactus, so I THINK my dirt should still be desireable, but I'm just wanting a bit of reassurance. Thanks for your time!
Don't underestimate the Dancing Boomerang Clam.
walker87

Re: Soil Mix Check

Post by walker87 »

Coir holds a lot of water, I'm not sure on your climate but it may pose a problem as it does not dry very quickly.
I use a very very small amount in my mix but my mix is mostly small scoria and coarse sand with a little sifted potting mix thrown in.
Generally speaking it's better to have a coarse mix that drains really fast, it's much easier (and safer) to add more water than it is to take it away.
The peat should help with acidity which is why I add it but the water retention properties of it can be a troublesome if not managed correctly.
iann

Re: Soil Mix Check

Post by iann »

Those are all relatively thirsty cacti. No need to go to extremes for them. Don't overpot and only water when the soil has dried out and they should be fine.
--ian