Sulcorebutia:height of the pot

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
clango

Sulcorebutia:height of the pot

Post by clango »

I just bought several Sulcorebutia. They are waiting for the new pot. I have just one doubt about the height of the plastic pot as they have . A 7 centimeter/2 3/4" height should be fine? Or it would be better 10 centimeter/4 inches?
greenknight

Re: Sulcorebutia:height of the pot

Post by greenknight »

Depends on the size of the root system. The new pot should be a little larger than the current root system, but not so large that much of the medium will not be penetrated by roots for a long time. It needs to be deep enough for the taproot, though.
Spence :mrgreen:
clango

Post by clango »

Thank you greenknight! I appreciate your comments and I think you grow Sulcorebutia as well.
That's my final output.

At the end I found square pot 6X6X7 centimeters. I think it is fine for the larger part of the plant. Only for a couple of them I'll repot next year as the root was already long about 6/7 centimeters.

I don't know in your countries but in Italy it's not so common find square pots!
Attachments
Sulcorebutia_new entry_2014_mag_1397f.JPG
Sulcorebutia_new entry_2014_mag_1397f.JPG (226.62 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
Sulcorebutia_new entry_2014_mag_1396f.JPG
Sulcorebutia_new entry_2014_mag_1396f.JPG (216.47 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The deep pots you need for cacti with long taproots can be hard to find. Better chance of finding them online. Try searching for "tree seedling pots" or words to that effect, "deep plant pots", that sort of thing.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The deep pots used to be called "Long Toms" in the UK and were more common in clay pot days, though a few plastic ones were made. They tend to be expensive in clay now and only in larger sizes:-

http://hibbitt.co.uk/prodinfo.php?prod=ET005&cat=49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Evidently there are some in plastic, but again the size range compared to normal pots is restricted:-

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/150-n ... 1062296996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

This place in Holland has some they call "palm pots", the smallest is 7 x 7 x 18 cm, which would work:

http://www.myplantshop.eu/%5CPots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The shipping is too high-priced, though. They charge a flat 37.5 euros for a box - whether it's full of palm seedlings or just some empty pots.