to little light?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
ItchyBigfoot

to little light?

Post by ItchyBigfoot »

Hi I was just wondering if anyone else thinks that my silver torch is stretching from too little light. I have it right next to the window so I don't know if I'm just imagining it or not. Also my smaller silver torch just bloomed soon after I repotted it and it still hasn't stabilized itself in the new soil yet but my other larger torch has; is this because it used a lot of energy making the flower, so will it stabilize itself soon?
Attachments
1399068942731.jpg
1399068942731.jpg (26.13 KiB) Viewed 878 times
"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R. Tolkien
Steve Johnson

Re: to little light?

Post by Steve Johnson »

ItchyBigfoot wrote:Hi I was just wondering if anyone else thinks that my silver torch is stretching from too little light. I have it right next to the window so I don't know if I'm just imagining it or not.
Definitely etoliated -- not the best candidate for being a windowsill cactus, and I'd get it out into the sun if possible.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Just because it may be in the brightest spot in the house possible doesn't mean in is getting enough light. If you can grow it outdoors during the warmer months you should have much fewer problems with this.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

I'm not sure it's etiolation, since the internode length seems to be shorter in the newest section of growth, which is uncharacteristic of etiolation. Perhaps the fact it's not well rooting is making it's growth more compact. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
iann

Post by iann »

I'd call it etiolation. Mine are outside for much of the year, and completely dry and cold if they're not outside.
--ian
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

CactusFanDan wrote:I'm not sure it's etiolation, since the internode length seems to be shorter in the newest section of growth, which is uncharacteristic of etiolation. Perhaps the fact it's not well rooting is making it's growth more compact. :P
Also the spines/hairs don't seem to have suffered or become weak with limited light. Check the roots
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND