Is my san pedro getting enough sunlight?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
chillnrelax

Is my san pedro getting enough sunlight?

Post by chillnrelax »

Hello, right now i have my san pedro cactus in my backyard. My backyard faces to the east. My cactus is currently planted right next to my house so when the sun is at the half way point in the sky my cactus becomes covered by the shade of the house and no longer gets sunlight. do you think my cactus is getting enough sunlight or should i replant it in-between my house for almost all day sunlight?
Saxicola

Re: Is my san pedro getting enough sunlight?

Post by Saxicola »

That is probably enough light. Just pay attention to the new growth. If it starts looking thinner and more stretched out than the rest of the plant you need more light, otherwise you should be fine. I'd be careful about putting it too close to the house since the plant will get pretty big, unless you were to prune back the stems regularly for some unknown reason.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Saxicola wrote:unless you were to prune back the stems regularly for some unknown reason.
Yes... some unknown reason... :lol:
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
chillnrelax

Post by chillnrelax »

Saxicola wrote:That is probably enough light. Just pay attention to the new growth. If it starts looking thinner and more stretched out than the rest of the plant you need more light, otherwise you should be fine. I'd be careful about putting it too close to the house since the plant will get pretty big, unless you were to prune back the stems regularly for some unknown reason.

thanks! I was also wondering if anyone knew how close together can you plant the cuttings? also would the cuttings begin to share a rooting system and grow faster if planted together?

I'll probably just prune and propagate if it grows over 7 feet tall. or maybe have a tea party ;)