Soft but not watered

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Lee

Soft but not watered

Post by Lee »

This year has been a crazy winter. Polar vortex is hard on the plants. Most of my cactus has not been watered for months, Some mams are in bloom but I noticed quite a few are soft not bad but soft and wrinkly. Temps in the greenhouse has reached a temp as low as 38 degrees. Humidity has been a steady 50%. Any comments
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.34 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
Lee P
CactusFanDan

Re: Soft but not watered

Post by CactusFanDan »

Probably just dehydrated. You've had higher temperatures and lower humidity than me. In fact it's probably colder than 38F in my GH right now. :wink: They'll be fine, but look out for discolouration and signs of rot just in case. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Lee

Post by Lee »

CactusFanDan wrote:Probably just dehydrated. You've had higher temperatures and lower humidity than me. In fact it's probably colder than 38F in my GH right now. :wink: They'll be fine, but look out for discolouration and signs of rot just in case. :P
Do you have any South African plants? I do and I thought since these plants grow in our winter I have to keep greenhouse at least 45-50 degrees warm. Is that Ok?
Lee P
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

One bonus of using the oscillating space heater - it keeps the humidity low. Tonight it's 60F with 23% humidity. Lee - I've been lightly watering the plants that are blooming or showing new spines. NJ weather should be similar to MD; supposed to get real cold tomorrow night into Thursday. Huge temperature swings over a period of one week. What a crazy year. Sue
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

38 isn't a problem for most cacti. In the LA area where I live we can grow almost every kind of cactus outdoors year round (if you are willing to baby a few things like Melocactus a bit I think you could do them all). Our nights in the winter regularly get in the mid to low 40s and there are always a few stretches where we get in the mid to upper 30s for a few nights.

As for South African plants, it is pretty much the same thing. The vast majority are fine with anything short of freezing. In fact many South African succulents (including things like Lithops!) can take temps into the 20s because freezes happen from time to time in the southern part of the country. By the way, only a small part of South Africa has a Mediterranean climate (hot dry summers, cool wet winters). The rest has summer rainfall, so make sure you know if your plant is a winter grower or summer grower before watering them in winter.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Lee wrote:
CactusFanDan wrote:Probably just dehydrated. You've had higher temperatures and lower humidity than me. In fact it's probably colder than 38F in my GH right now. :wink: They'll be fine, but look out for discolouration and signs of rot just in case. :P
Do you have any South African plants? I do and I thought since these plants grow in our winter I have to keep greenhouse at least 45-50 degrees warm. Is that Ok?
I have a few. Summer-growing species (Lithops and other Mesembs, Stapeliads etc.) shouldn't be growing in Winter! Stapeliads are quite tender so I bring those inside along with Pachypodiums and some Euphorbias, but I leave my Lithops and Winter growing SA's (Massonia & other bulbs and Conophytums) outside.

45-50 is fine to prevent Summer-growing species from growing and also to stop them from freezing to death. Once again, Summer growers shouldn't be growing now. They would be growing if they were in South Africa at this time of the year (or anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere, due to the inverted seasons), but not in the Northern Hemisphere. :P Those night-time temperatures might be too warm for some Winter-growers.
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog
Lee

Post by Lee »

So are you suggesting that I turn down the temp for now? I usually up the temp in March about two degrees.
Lee P
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Well what South Africa plants are you growing? Do you have any Winter growers or are they all Summer growers? :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog
Lee

Post by Lee »

I believe they are tylecodon, avonia, drimiopsis, pachypodium,
Lee P
Lee

Post by Lee »

Lee wrote:I believe they are tylecodon, avonia, drimiopsis, pachypodium,
Also assorted euphorbias
Lee P
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

I think Drimiopsis are winter-growers so you might need to keep them cooler, but if they're growing for you then there's obviously not a problem. :P Avonia don't want water around now so current temperatures are fine.

Not sure about Tylecodons or Euphorbias. :P Euphorbia is a big genus with some winter and some summer growers. Pachypodiums are fine in those temperatures and wouldn't tolerate frost. Overall your current temperatures are probably fine. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog
Lee

Post by Lee »

CactusFanDan wrote:I think Drimiopsis are winter-growers so you might need to keep them cooler, but if they're growing for you then there's obviously not a problem. :P Avonia don't want water around now so current temperatures are fine.

Not sure about Tylecodons or Euphorbias. :P Euphorbia is a big genus with some winter and some summer growers. Pachypodiums are fine in those temperatures and wouldn't tolerate frost. Overall your current temperatures are probably fine. :P
Thanks for all this information, yep I may be old but still I am learning something new every day lol
Lee P