Agave parryii - Re-potting - 2 questions

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
coyotecreek

Agave parryii - Re-potting - 2 questions

Post by coyotecreek »

First, can the pups that emerged from the bottom of the pot, with the long white stalks, be potted as new plants? Any special tips in doing so?
Second, did I pot the mother plant up too high in the pot? Should it be sitting closer to the soil level, as it would probably be in it's natural state?
Thanks for your comments ....
P1100333-R1.JPG
P1100333-R1.JPG (58.31 KiB) Viewed 736 times
P1100337-R1.JPG
P1100337-R1.JPG (57.68 KiB) Viewed 736 times
P1100324-R1.JPG
P1100324-R1.JPG (46.33 KiB) Viewed 736 times
P1100335-R1.JPG
P1100335-R1.JPG (127.04 KiB) Viewed 736 times
majcka

Re: Agave parryii - Re-potting - 2 questions

Post by majcka »

Some of them already show new roots upper. So you can cut tham just under that and pot it after a few days when the cut heals a bit.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

bluetexasbonnie
Location: Geronimo, Texas (near San Antonio) Edge of zone 8a - 8b.

Post by bluetexasbonnie »

I know century plants, and this one's growth habit looks so similar, that what works for it, will probably work for this.

1. Plant the pups as new plants. No matter how curved and deformed they appear, orient them so the top center is straight up and down -- even if that means the root end curls up to the surface. They will straighten themselves out and look much nicer sooner than if you orient off the root. No matter how you orient them, they will straighten themselves out after a couple of years. (Might be faster with this little one.)

2. They really should be planted right at dirt level. It can't be good for the roots to be hanging about in the sunshine. Just isn't natural, and doesn't look nice.

Nice looking agave. I am continuously fascinated by the lower leaf patterns left the leaves below. The subtle color and texture, plus its fractal nature is so interesting.
My cactus must be gods. They demand blood sacrifice.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

"Mom" is a little high, nothing serious. I generally don't bring soil quite so close to lip of pot. Then you can (& still can) place a few rocks in snug to bottom leaves & would have same effect as in Nature :D
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!