qeustion about multiplying plan.

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Robinj

qeustion about multiplying plan.

Post by Robinj »

I got a mam. elonghata and i have one qeustion. If i would take a cutting, pot that and after it had rooted and all the stuff had happened, the cutting and the plant it came from, would bloom at the same time. Would it be possible to pollinate them and get viable seeds?
Searching for these seeds:
Gymnocalycium andreae
Matucana madisoniorum
iann

Re: qeustion about multiplying plan.

Post by iann »

No :)
--ian
Pilif

Post by Pilif »

I'll elaborate :p
If your original plant isn't auto-feritle (i.e.: able to polinate itself), genetically identical clones (which cuttings are) won't be able to do that either because there wouldn't be any difference betwee the original plant's flowers and the cutting's flowers.
Filip
jnspire

Post by jnspire »

I have two M. elongata's

I am willing to trade you a cutting from one of mine for a cutting of yours.

If you are interested PM me. :)

(I can take pictures if you want)
Jer.

-----
Moved to Hollywood, FL (hardiness zone 10b) in September 2022. Previously resided in Minnesota (zone 4b).
Robinj

Post by Robinj »

Then there raises ywo other qeustions. It blooms now, can i take cutting from and the cactus won't abort further blooming? And if i made a cutting, how do i need to sent it to have the biggest chance of survival of the cutting?
Gymnocalycium andreae
Matucana madisoniorum
jnspire

Post by jnspire »

Robinj wrote:Then there raises ywo other qeustions. It blooms now, can i take cutting from and the cactus won't abort further blooming? And if i made a cutting, how do i need to sent it to have the biggest chance of survival of the cutting?
I would predict that the cutting would probably stop blooming.
But, I don't think the parent plant would. It could potentially. But, I doubt it.

For shipping, I would say a cutting smaller than an inch and a half or so probably won't survive.
But, if its a fairly healthy pup it should be fine. I'll give you a fairly large cutting for trade.
Wrapped in some packing paper or paper towel and placed in a small box so it doesn't move around if shaken would work fine. As long as they aren't shipped through extremely cold weather they would likely be fine. :)

If you send me a PM with your email address I'll send you some pictures of the two M. elongota plants that I have.

P.S. If yours is a hybrid plant then crossing it with one of mine would further hybridize it.
This could potentially create some very unusual plants. There is also a chance that a lower germination/fertility rate could occur. But, this could only be known if tried. Seeds are unpredictable. I just want to be honest and upfront with you. :)
There is a chance that the germination rates could be great too!
Jer.

-----
Moved to Hollywood, FL (hardiness zone 10b) in September 2022. Previously resided in Minnesota (zone 4b).
Robinj

Post by Robinj »

Honesty is the best thing you can have. I allways say, be honest to me. The biggest cutting i can make is 2 cm. I wil send a few more with it to have the most chance one will survive.
Gymnocalycium andreae
Matucana madisoniorum
Robinj

Post by Robinj »

The cuttings i had cut for myself and for a girl on the island in the northsea are when i checked to day. The place that was attached to the mother plant was shrunk into the cutting. :shock:
Gymnocalycium andreae
Matucana madisoniorum
jnspire

Post by jnspire »

Robinj wrote:The cuttings i had cut for myself and for a girl on the island in the northsea are when i checked to day. The place that was attached to the mother plant was shrunk into the cutting. :shock:
That tends to happen. Which is why the cutting cannot be too short or it will die.
Jer.

-----