Multiple species in the same pot?/species reccomendations

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Zyzzyzus

Multiple species in the same pot?/species reccomendations

Post by Zyzzyzus »

I'd love to have an indoor collection of lithops, fenestraria and maybe a hawarthia or two, all in the same pot. Ideally all species would be small enough at maturity that I could fit three to five plants/species into a pot that was maybe 12 inches in diameter. I am interested in plants that would not get more than a cm above pebbles on the planting medium. I'm open to buying online, though I'd rather see what pops up in the local garden centers/home depots within the next few weeks. (Several have said they're getting cacti/succulent orders in soon.) Is a community pot a really bad idea? What if I kept the individual plants in individual pots, and then 'planted' the pots? Any recommendations of species?
iann

Re: Multiple species in the same pot?/species reccomendation

Post by iann »

There is no combination of Lithops, Fenestraria and Haworthias that will do well together in the same pot for any length of time. Your best bet would be to put them all in separate pots and sunk them into a large container of grit or sand, although I wouldn't even do that.
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I would echo what Ian says here and say the same goes for cacti too.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

There are several books out there about growing succulents in containers together. (Check for ones by Debra Baldwin.) I find that you can group succulents into the same planter quite successfully. However, there are some (Lithops, Fenestraria, many Haworthias, and P. neli for example) that don't want to grow well without special care and attention. And, if you are collecting really cool, rare, and/or expensive succulents treat them to a pot of their own.

If you want a mixed pot, here are my rules for growing succulents together:
1. Try to use plants with similar water requirements,
2. Never spend more than $2 for any single plant going in the pot.
3. Be prepared to experiment, as you are most likely going to kill some or all of the plants until you find the right combination for your particular area.
4. DON'T add cactus to the mix.

Here are samples of successes and not so successes.
This pot has been going strong for 10 or more years.
This pot has been going strong for 10 or more years.
DSC_5262.JPG (28.06 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
The sedum, haworthia and jade plant have all done well, but the Echiveria had to be moved out.
The sedum, haworthia and jade plant have all done well, but the Echiveria had to be moved out.
DSC_5543.JPG (74.2 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
This guy has been going well for a couple of years now.
This guy has been going well for a couple of years now.
DSC_8776.JPG (49.54 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
These guys are having a race to see which will over take the pot first. The plants will have to be separted to give them room to grow.
These guys are having a race to see which will over take the pot first. The plants will have to be separted to give them room to grow.
DSC_6929.JPG (96.87 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
cactuslee

Post by cactuslee »

looks like you don't need advice. I like the way they all look.
iann

Post by iann »

Great planters! Have you got any Lithops in there? Under the Topsy Turvy maybe?
--ian
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

iann wrote:Great planters! Have you got any Lithops in there? Under the Topsy Turvy maybe?
I don't add Lithops to planters like those because I like them too much and have been making a concerted effort to keep them alive - which, in humid Florida, is not always easy! My planters tend to be filled with $1.99 plants that I can afford to experiment with... no matter how many times folks say not to group plants together I keep doing it. I think a bouquet of succulents is as pretty as any bouquet of flowers!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

I think lithops would work with some mexican cacti, they both like it dry in the cool season and watering to resume in late spring. Some of the more succulent euphorbias would probably get by too (like E. obesa).
iann

Post by iann »

promethean_spark wrote:I think lithops would work with some mexican cacti, they both like it dry in the cool season and watering to resume in late spring. Some of the more succulent euphorbias would probably get by too (like E. obesa).
Try it and get back to me ;)
--ian