Ariocarpus fissuratus seedlings

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Joe Mroz

Ariocarpus fissuratus seedlings

Post by Joe Mroz »

Hello
I have some A fissuratus seedlings that I started in June. They are stalled at about 1 mm and haven't grown since then. They were turning dark so I moved them away from the light (they're under tubes) and gave them some shade so they are green again.

I read on a British site that they like humidity when they are young. Would the baggie method be helpful? Any suggestions to get them beyond this stage?

Joe, in Montreal
iann

Post by iann »

Too late to put them in bags now. Keep them warm (or hot!) and give them regular water.
--ian
fracture

Post by fracture »

The light should be far enough away that the soil will not dry out that fast,
seedlings burn easy!
psi

Post by psi »

I have some loph seedlings that I also started around June that had a similar problem and responded pretty well to a return to high humidity, maybe it's different for ariocarpus though. I had been thinking it was sunburn but they are now much greener and faster growing under essentially the same lighting conditions.

They are in a clear rubbermaid tub and I just started leaving the lid on it most of the time. I'm not sure how long I should keep doing that but it seemed to give them a boost anyway.
iann

Post by iann »

You've had them under lights all summer? With no natural light at all? Ariocarpus seedlings really don't like the sun until they're over 1cm across, maybe 2-3 years for some of them. Or maybe they do like it but they don't grow much in it! Mine grow better in a propagator for the first couple of years, but I don't run it all summer. Even in winter the nights are hotter in there than in my greenhouse in summer.

Lophophora I don't have so much trouble with. They grow faster and are small adults after 2-3 years. Don't mistake getting fat in high humidity for growing ;)
--ian
psi

Post by psi »

Poor comparison I guess, I do think they actually are growing faster in addition to the initial plumping though. Would like to try growing some A. fissuratus soon, cool looking plants.
iann

Post by iann »

I hunted round for some photos of A. fissuratus seedlings, but I couldn't find any. Perhaps because they are so unimpressive. Anyway, here is the similar A. bravoanus at perhaps two years old, or possibly even three. I know people who can grow them faster than this, but still they are slow.

Here are some Lophophoras at three years old, quite happy in their full (English) sun.
--ian