Using BAP/Lanolin mixture to force branching

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
coldcactusmontreal

Re: Using BAP/Lanolin mixture to force branching

Post by coldcactusmontreal »

Lanolin is quite pricey. Any reason you couldn't use Vaseline or something else? I guess because Lanolin is somehow natural??
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

BAP is a cytokinin not anb auxin I purchased from MNFERTS for ~ 10.00 per 5 grams. In my last experiment I applied in asaturated emulsion in canola oil. I couldn't find pure lanolin anywhere. My experiments on several speies are in progress and dtails are on Cactus and Succulent biology group on Facrbook. Bobby Z

http://www.mbferts.com/missingCheckoutCtxNotify.sc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
coldcactusmontreal

Hey Bobby, I found it in the pharmacy, it's in the baby section for dry and cracked nipples from breastfeeding. I was wondering if I could use something else that is waxy or oily thought because one tube is 10$. I already have something called bag balm which might be lanolin and some other stuff but I can't be sure.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

CCM - I'm pretty sure Bag Balm has lanolin in it. I was a mixed practice vet for several years, just hadn't done dairy work in 20 :wink:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
coldcactusmontreal

I contacted them and they told me that Bag Balm is 8% of the mixture. I think that I might just try it with Bag Balm though since I imagine it's just that I need to put something non toxic and anhydrous.