To Pot or Not To Pot?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
mickey48

To Pot or Not To Pot?

Post by mickey48 »

I have this cactus that has few roots after taking it out of its temporary black plastic pot.
Should I pot it after drying? Or should I let it root first as I place it on top of soil?

Thank you!
Onzuka

Re: To Pot or Not To Pot?

Post by Onzuka »

Providing that the end is clean and well calloused, personally I'd pot it in a very gritty mix. I'd give it minimal water. When the roots develop properly, you will know, because it will not wobble in the pot.

Steve
mickey48

Post by mickey48 »

Thanks for the reply Steve! So do I wait for it root before potting it in a gritty mix?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

mickey48 wrote:Thanks for the reply Steve! So do I wait for it root before potting it in a gritty mix?
No, it will root while in the gritty mix. But you could also just place it in regular soil. I always do that with my plants, saves me and the plant the hassle of another repotting later. I put the plant in a bright but shady place, check it every few weeks to see if there are roots that keep the plant in place. If there are roots, I will start to water a little bit. No need to water it if there are no roots to take on the water.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Of course, in your climate you should be using a very gritty mix anyway. :) It looks like it has some roots, though - are those actually live roots? If they are, it could be that it already started to grow new roots after the old root system died.
Spence :mrgreen:
mickey48

Post by mickey48 »

Yes they actually are live roots :D Thanks for the advice!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's got a head start on rooting ,then - but it doesn't change the procedure to follow much, which Aiko has already laid out. A mist sprayer works well for watering at first.
Spence :mrgreen:
mickey48

Post by mickey48 »

Okay then! Thaaanks!