Cactus in the window during winter

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
StarDragon

Cactus in the window during winter

Post by StarDragon »

I have placed 3 of my cactus plants in windows, out of the potentially freezing temperatures of the winter. Last time I had to do this, 2 of them did not etiolate, but still curved toward the light. They later recovered, after being placed back in direct sunlight in the spring. I'm considering just purchasing the necessary indoor lamps for them, but I was wondering if there is any other thing I should try before doing that?
cortez753

Re: Cactus in the window during winter

Post by cortez753 »

Just don't water them or give them only sips of water maybe once a month.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Right - if they're fully dormant they aren't going to bend toward the light. Keep them dryer.
Spence :mrgreen:
StarDragon

Post by StarDragon »

Thanks!!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Problem indoors is often temperature over winter. We like it warm but that may keep the plants growing and then you have to give them a bit of water. Ideally you need them in a cool room that stays above freezing but allows them to go dormant, however such cool rooms are hard to find in todays centrally heated homes.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

The window should be fine like whats already been said they just need to dry out. In most places cacti go dormant in the heat and drought of summer to survive in stasis sort of. Cool temperatures are not necessarily required just the dry conditions. But it will also depend on species. What plants are you referring to?
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
StarDragon

Post by StarDragon »

One is a Devil's Tongue Barrel cactus, & the other is a Thimble cactus. The third one, that included just to be one the safe side, is a Rose Quartz cactus. I have not had any problems with it, because I obtained it relatively recently, so not enough time has elapsed to determine whether that will happen. It also has more upright surface area & is more narrow, so it can get more light at least a little better. I included it so I can apply any new information, in case there where other things I did not know or was not considering, that could still affect it during the winter.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Some of the higher altitude cacti (Sulcorebutia's etc) need a proper cool winter rest to achieve their maximum flowering potential though Ade.

I am afraid those local names don't mean much to anybody outside the USA StarDragon, which is why it is best getting used to using the universal Latin names if you can that are understood worldwide. Latin names are a bit daunting at first when we start to collect plants, but Latin names are the universal language of botany. For instance If I said I had bluebells in my garden in the UK that would not mean the same to you or somebody from France since the English bluebell is a different species to both the others. Only by using the Latin name would we all know what species was being referred to. Not only that common names are often not universal throughout the nation and often refer to plants from different genera, as the Scottish and English bluebell:-

You know the difference between a bluebell and a ‘Scots bluebell’, one of the best known of the flowers of Scotland? Bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) usually grow in woodland in great swathes. ‘Scots bluebells’ are harebells (in English) and are really Campanula rotundifolia

I has to Google to find the Latin names for you:-

Devils Claw Barrel Cactus = Ferocactus latispinus

Thimble Cactus = Mammillaria gracilis?

Rose Quartz Cactus = Chamaelobivia hybrid 'Rose Quartz'?

Your plants should be OK on the windowsill as Ade says, but a cooler dry winter rest for all but tropical cacti is best as long as it's above freezing.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

DaveW wrote:
I am afraid those local names don't mean much to anybody outside the USA StarDragon
And to quite a few of us in the USA! Posting a picture of them would be the most helpful thing you could do.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
StarDragon

Post by StarDragon »

I was under the impression that the species I have are relatively easily recognizable, especially the Rose Quartz cactus. That's why I did not post their Latin names, again, especially the Rose Quartz. I don't have any problems with Latin. I know there are some species that look very similar, which can cause confusion, but not exactly the same, so they could be identified easily when placed side by side. It will be easy to prevent them from going below freezing, & fortunately, I already knew freezing temperatures will kill them. Next time, I'll post pictures, if that would really help.