Spreading black spot on cactus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
krsimkins

Spreading black spot on cactus

Post by krsimkins »

This cactus (not sure what type since I'm relatively new to cacti) was inherited from my in-laws.

A few weeks ago, we noticed one of its lower arms turning black and slightly soft. We amputated the arm, hoping that would prevent any disease from spreading to the rest of the cactus. We didn't put anything on the wound (I hadn't read about using cinnamon powder yet).

Then we noticed the blackness starting to spread from where the infected arm was amputated.
cactus1.jpg
cactus1.jpg (86.38 KiB) Viewed 743 times
As you can see, the blackness has continued to spread quite consistently from that point.
cactus2.jpg
cactus2.jpg (107.87 KiB) Viewed 743 times
cactus3.jpg
cactus3.jpg (96.8 KiB) Viewed 743 times
cactus4.jpg
cactus4.jpg (110.31 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Reading through these forums online, it seems like this could be an overwatering during dormancy, especially since our apartment has been bit chilly and hasn't gotten a huge amount of sunlight since it is currently winter where we are. However, the blackness or rot does seem to be spreading from the place the arm was amputated rather than the base of the cactus. So, maybe it could be an infection of some sort? It does look like there might be spider mite damage as well.
cactus5.jpg
cactus5.jpg (106.41 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Any insights and recommendations would be greatly appreciated! This cactus is almost 30 years also and it would be a shame to lose it.
Attachments
cactus5.jpg
cactus5.jpg (106.41 KiB) Viewed 745 times
cactus1.jpg
cactus1.jpg (86.38 KiB) Viewed 744 times
cactus2.jpg
cactus2.jpg (107.87 KiB) Viewed 744 times
cactus3.jpg
cactus3.jpg (96.8 KiB) Viewed 744 times
ElieEstephane

Re: Spreading black spot on cactus

Post by ElieEstephane »

Yes watering during winter could spell disaster. It's definitely a good idea to cut the afflicted areas again. However, this time use sterile equipment and cut until all you see is healthy flesh, sterilizing the knife after each cut and then apply fungicidal powder and avoid water. Some people use isopropyl alcohol or other stuff to sterilize. Personally, i like to cut above ground infected areas with a hot knife. It will be 99.9% sterile and in most cases seal the wound.
It's a cereus peruvianus monstrose and even if the bas rots, it can still be rooted. Don't throw it away.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
krsimkins

Re: Spreading black spot on cactus

Post by krsimkins »

Thank you! Is there a fungicidal powder that you would recommend?