Frithia Pulchra rotting help

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Hocksworth

Frithia Pulchra rotting help

Post by Hocksworth »

Hello there,

I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice.
Sadly my beautiful Frithia Pulchra has rotted to the core - i'm left with lots of small individual leaves.
Does anyone know if it would be possible to propagate from these?

Thanks!
Rachael
esp_imaging

Re: Frithia Pulchra rotting help

Post by esp_imaging »

This will be a lost cause, I'm afraid, with Frithia.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Further to the above, a lot off Crassulaceae species and hybrids are very easy to propagate from entire leaves, and this is a natural means of reproduction for many of them. Each leaf roots easily and has a a tiny growing point at its base which new leaves / stems form. Other plants, e,g, Haworthias are also possible by this method, provided that each leaf has a tiny bit of the stem attached which has the growing point.

However, very few succulents can be propagated from parts of leaves. Gasterias are not too hard by this method, but they are a well know exception to the norm.

For most other species, single leaves do not have a growing point from which new leaves and stems can develop, and unlike Gasterias, they do not develop one from the scar tissue at the base of a leaf or leaf segment. So for mesemsb, which have rotted at the central growing point, there is close to zero chance of rescuing a plant from parts of leaves.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

esp_imaging wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 pm However, very few succulents can be propagated from parts of leaves. Gasterias are not too hard by this method, but they are a well know exception to the norm.
From my experience they do grow really slow in this way, though.
Hocksworth

Post by Hocksworth »

Thank you so much for all the responses!
It's such a shame, I will attempt to re-root it as i have nothing to loose but considering what you've all said i'm not holding out much hope :(
If by some miracle it does work - I will post an update :)