Cactus starting to lean to one side- root rot?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Flapjack Octopus

Cactus starting to lean to one side- root rot?

Post by Flapjack Octopus »

For a year or so, I have been raising cacti from a mystery seed mixture that I bought at the local succulent collection. I am fairly new to cacti and lack the knowledge to identify the tiny cacti I am growing or any issues that they might have. In short- I am an idiot when it comes to cacti. Recently I have noticed that one of my seedlings has started to lean to one side. I unearthed and cleaned it, and as you can see it looks as if someone took a bite out of it. The caved-in part is reddish brown in color and not mushy, but dry and shriveled (Might be irrelevant, but there were also tiny pebbles wedged in there).

Could that be root rot even though it is dry? Is my cactus doomed?
Flapjack Octopus

Re: Cactus starting to lean to one side- root rot?

I am having weird issues with the attachments (Uploaded the wrong files, deleted them, attatched the right ones but the old ones (that i deleted) reappeared upon submission even though the preview did not show them?) Second try
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (46.76 KiB) Viewed 326 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (45.44 KiB) Viewed 326 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (44.49 KiB) Viewed 326 times
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

There may have been rot but it looks like it has stopped of it's dry. Use your better judgement to see if it's completely dry and healed.
You probably have done more damage unearthing it. It could be some sort of coryphantha
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Flapjack Octopus

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:00 pm There may have been rot but it looks like it has stopped of it's dry. Use your better judgement to see if it's completely dry and healed. You probably have done more damage unearthing it.
I was afraid so, but i did not see any other way to determine why it started to slant like this and if there was an ongoing infection or not :( It seems dry. Should I treat it with a fungicide or something to prevent reinfection?
ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:00 pm It could be some sort of coryphantha
I will keep that in mind and see how it looks like when it (hopefully) gets older. Thanks for the help!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Flapjack Octopus wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:25 pm Should I treat it with a fungicide or something to prevent reinfection?
Yeah why not. Even if it's not infected, it wouldn't hurt. When you replant it, hold off watering for a few days to avoid root rot.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: