Diseased Cactus - Rust?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
causticjay

Diseased Cactus - Rust?

Post by causticjay »

I have a Devil Tongue Cactus (I believe? I've not properly identified it yet) that I have had for a long time, but neglected pretty badly and left outside for a while. Recently I am getting more in to plant care, so brought it in to look after. However when I did I noticed some orange-yellow discoloration which is troubling. It's only on the bottom of one side of the plant, and overall it looks relatively healthy to my non-expert eye. I saw a post here and think it may be rust, but I'm really not sure. If anyone could help point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it - thanks!

This is my first post on this site so apologies in advance if I've done anything wrong. :)
ElieEstephane

Re: Diseased Cactus - Rust?

Post by ElieEstephane »

I think "rust" is pretty common with these
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Ferocactus plants (which this is) are prone to develop orange spots, especially if exposed to wet when it's cold. It's not rust disease.

Needs strong sunlight for best spine development and color (introduce it gradually to strong sun if it's not used to it). This might be Ferocactus latispinus (Devil's Tongue Cactus), but not totally sure at this point - better growing conditions and a few years of growth should make the ID more clear.
Spence :mrgreen:
causticjay

Post by causticjay »

Thank you so much, it's good to know it's not a disease or anything! :D It's used to pretty strong sun, but am considering getting a growlight for winter. Thank you again!