Bought a cactus and it has no roots...not sure if it's rotting?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
elizabethAZ

Bought a cactus and it has no roots...not sure if it's rotting?

Post by elizabethAZ »

I just bought a cactus from a hardware store and brought it home to repot it, but when I took it out of the pot, I found that it had no roots. I'm not sure if it's rotting at all - there are some brown patches on the bottom. Is this rot, or is it okay (see pics)? If it is rotting, do I need to cut the bottom off? If it's not rotting, should i repot it in soil now with no roots? Or should I leave it out and wait for roots to grow before putting it in a pot with soil? Any help appreciated! Thanks!
Attachments
27534879_10211443926874915_255387415_o.jpg
27534879_10211443926874915_255387415_o.jpg (82.79 KiB) Viewed 389 times
ElieEstephane

Re: Bought a cactus and it has no roots...not sure if it's rotting?

Post by ElieEstephane »

Touch the black spots and see if they are mushy or firm. It looks a little damp to me. If you have some, give the bottom a few sprays of hydrogen peroxide. Let the cactus dry a few days and repot it in a cactus mix with extra grit added but hold off water until spring.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
elizabethAZ

Post by elizabethAZ »

The black spots are firm, so that means it's not rotting? I'll spray with hydrogen peroxide and repot in a few days. Thank you!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

If it's firm then no rot. Rot is very squishy and you'd know it. Let it dry well for a few days and check it again. You can even leave it unpotted in the shade until spring comes.
Btw it's probably a cereus peruvianus
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
elizabethAZ

Post by elizabethAZ »

Sounds good, thank you so much! And I think you're right about it being a cereus peruvianus! I had no idea what it was before...thanks!! :D