Broken Cacti

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
opuntiaddict

Broken Cacti

Post by opuntiaddict »

Hey guys,
So my cacti that I'm trying to get identified was knocked over by my father. I'll add the image here too, half of it is dead but I'd like to get6 any tips with regards to helping this guy out, as in my next step and what size pot to transplant him in :)
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
sickcacti.jpg
sickcacti.jpg (72.05 KiB) Viewed 341 times
As the username suggests... I like fuzzy plants
hegar

Re: Broken Cacti

Post by hegar »

You mention, that half of the plant is dead and you want to salvage the other half. I only see one plant (stem), which - except for two scabs looks still OK. In the background is a blurry, brownish, somewhat flattened looking object. Is that the "other half"?
What you do need to do is to remove the healthy looking cactus and examine it carefully the condition of its roots and the part of the plant that was below the soil level. If you do detect no roots, but the plant bottom is firm, you should place the cactus into new growing medium, which consists of coarse sand and gravel and perhaps an amendment of perlite or vermiculite. Your aim is to obtain a highly porous, well draining "soil". If there were indeed two stems in the pot, then the soil should not be reused and - if the same pot is going to be used - it should be sterilized with bleach (1 part bleach to 3 parts water).
If the stem is rotting below the soil line, the plant should be cut about one inch above the point, where on the cut surface there is no longer a discoloration visible. Then the plant should be placed on its side for a week or two, until the wound has healed and a callus layer formed.
To make success a little more likely, you could apply rooting hormone to the cut surface while it is still wet. Most of these powders also do contain a fungicide.

Harald
opuntiaddict

Post by opuntiaddict »

OK, so no root damage, I took off the dead half, and set him up in a new pot with a similar medium as you suggested. anything else you can recommend? should I water him now?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You should wait at least a week or two to let any root injuries heal before watering. Since this is the dormant season, it would be best to put it in a cool (but not freezing) location and withhold water until Spring. If cool conditions are not available, light watering may be needed to keep the roots alive.
Spence :mrgreen:
opuntiaddict

Post by opuntiaddict »

Ok, by cool do you mean w/o light or with light? Sorry if I sound stupid there, I can probably find something, but the roots seemed ok when I repotted him.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If it's fully dormant the light isn't very important, though light is preferable - cacti that have wintered in low light will be vulnerable to sunburn in the Spring.Gradually get it used to the sun again in that case.

See: http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... r_rest.htm
Spence :mrgreen: