Sick cactus?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Coopercat

Sick cactus?

Post by Coopercat »

15170158426140.jpg
15170158426140.jpg (50.4 KiB) Viewed 183 times
This is a cactus my son brought home to me eight years ago when he was two. He was so proud of the gift he had picked. Unfortunately I have a brown thumb and I thought there was no way it would survive. Surprisingly it did. It is now about ten inches tall. It flowered three December's in a row and the began get some side growth. It has four "nodes" and has not flowered since those began growing. I repoted about four years ago and since it was looking sad and the nodes were close to touching the sides of the pot it seemed like now was time to do it again. I was surprised that it really did not have much of a root system.

ANY recommendations on possibly getting this guy back on track?

Thank,
Leslie
ElieEstephane

Re: Sick cactus?

Post by ElieEstephane »

What kind of soil are you using. Cacti like mineral fast draining soils with little to no organic matter.
Are you watering in winter?
How much sun does it get?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Coopercat

Post by Coopercat »

It is planted in a medium designed for cactus. Watering probably happens every 3-4 weeks during winter. The window it is in is mostly shade, but that is not new. It has gotten a bit better as we did cut down a large tree in the yard. Do you think a grow light would help?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

If it's in a windowsill it needs some direct sun. In what temperature is it in? It should be hibernating somewhere cold with no water
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Coopercat

Post by Coopercat »

It is probably 60-65 degrees where it is. It is a cold spot in the house.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Hold off water completely till spring or maybe once every 2 months. And look into a more mineral mix. Basically add more grit or perlite or pumice to your mix.
And of course more light and the occasional half strength fertilizer in summer.