Cereus peruvianus (?) too far gone with scale, possible rot?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
CJack

Cereus peruvianus (?) too far gone with scale, possible rot?

Post by CJack »

Hi all,
Recently we came into possession of what I think is a Cereus peruvianus. It had a small scale infestation when we got it and it has gotten progressively worse. We've scrubbed the scale off with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, we've held it horizontally and blasted them off with a hose, and they seem to just come right back. It's especially hard to get rid of them where they've surrounded the spines. I've read about using Volck dormant oil but I've got the cactus indoors for the winter so I'm not sure how I could go about spraying it with this. Would a regular spray bottle work?

Is this cactus too far gone to save?

Also, I noticed while scraping off scale last night that it's showing possible signs of rot at the base? Am I seeing that correctly?

ElieEstephane

Re: Cereus peruvianus (?) too far gone with scale, possible rot?

Post by ElieEstephane »

For me, i would immediately discard a heavily infected plant to protect the others.
If you intend to save it, first of all quarantine it. Move it to a different room than all the plants. Remove all the soil because it seems way too organic. Check for rot. And then soak the whole thing in soapy water for 10 minutes (insecticidal soap is best). Next, clean the roots and olant well and repot. Dry it with paper towels and leave it for a few days to dry completely and repot it in dry more mineral mix.
However, if you can get another one, just throw away this one
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: