Copiapoa not doing so well.

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
GK23

Copiapoa not doing so well.

Post by GK23 »

G'day

Recently I brought this Copiapoa as an impulse buy a few weeks ago
I have not watered it since
Today I have noticed that it has started to become wrinkled and a little squishy
Is it underwatered or is it dead? (I have seen that it has grown a little since I got it though)
It is slightly over-potted because I couldn't find a pot big enough for it's big tuberous root.

Thanks for the help! :D :D :D
toson

Re: Copiapoa not doing so well.

Post by toson »

Copiapoa hypogaea.

its spina growing? not means its root growing as well. dont water it in winter unless in warm greenhouse.let it have a rest.
GK23

Post by GK23 »

toson wrote:Copiapoa hypogaea.

its spina growing? not means its root growing as well. dont water it in winter unless in warm greenhouse.let it have a rest.
It's spines are growing as well as the wool on top, sorry I didn't mention that I'm in southern hemisphere (so it's summer)
Thanks! =P~
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Sorry about not chiming in before now. Standard procedure for transplanting/repotting cacti in the growing season is to let them settle in for 2 weeks before watering. Since the seasons are reversed between the northern and southern hemispheres, yes -- you're in the middle of your growing season.

Some cacti "sulk" when they're repotted, so any shriveling you see on your Copiapoa isn't any cause for alarm. If the plant has enough of a root system to take up water, you should see it start to plump up a little. A common newbie mistake is to water too often, which you definitely want to avoid. Deep watering, and let the mix dry out from top to bottom between waterings. I water the vast majority of my cacti every 2 weeks in spring and summer. However, I live in a Mediterranean-type coastal microclimate, so I don't know if this applies to your climate. Also, what kind of mix are you using?
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
GK23

Post by GK23 »

Steve Johnson wrote:Sorry about not chiming in before now. Standard procedure for transplanting/repotting cacti in the growing season is to let them settle in for 2 weeks before watering. Since the seasons are reversed between the northern and southern hemispheres, yes -- you're in the middle of your growing season.

Some cacti "sulk" when they're repotted, so any shriveling you see on your Copiapoa isn't any cause for alarm. If the plant has enough of a root system to take up water, you should see it start to plump up a little. A common newbie mistake is to water too often, which you definitely want to avoid. Deep watering, and let the mix dry out from top to bottom between waterings. I water the vast majority of my cacti every 2 weeks in spring and summer. However, I live in a Mediterranean-type coastal microclimate, so I don't know if this applies to your climate. Also, what kind of mix are you using?
Okay, that's reassuring to hear.
I'm currently using approx. 80 fine pumice - 20 regular potting mix
Thanks for the help! :)
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

GK23 wrote:I'm currently using approx. 80 fine pumice - 20 regular potting mix
The climate in my area is on the humid side (that's the coastal effect), so a soil-less mix of pumice and granite gravel works incredibly well for the vast majority of my cacti. If your climate is on the drier side, the soil component in your mix will help with the adequate water retention you wouldn't have using straight pumice. Such being the case, it sounds like you have the right mix.
GK23 wrote:Thanks for the help! :)
You're welcome and happy New Year -- I hope you and your collection do well in 2018!
Last edited by Steve Johnson on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Cacidy

Post by Cacidy »

I noticed quite a few spine clusters got knocked of the tubercles of your copiapoa. I don't know if you recieved it in the mail or handled it really rough, but if the spines are falling off easily with a light touch, it may indicate rot.

I got a copiapoa in the mail and the taproot had been slightly insulted, a small cut in the skin. The spine clusters were falling off like crazy while I was potting it. It had some wrinkly looking skin like yours. I believe rot had just started and I don't believe I dried it out enough (only 1 week) before potting in almost 95% mineral soil. I watered it a week later and it started rotting very quickly, rotted to the top the next week. When I unpotted it, sure enough the roots were black and mushy.

My point is that you might want to check the taproot for injury and dry the heck out of it if you find any injuries,like under a fan for 2 weeks, copiapoa can take very long periods without moisture.I believe the skin on the taproots often blister and tear leaving a site for infection when they are shipped bareroot. If you discover any damage or rot on the roots you may even consider cutting some of the taproot off if it is not too thick of a section.

Hopefully I'm wrong and it has a healthy root system that just needs a drink.