Have I Frozen my Euphorbia lactea?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Have I Frozen my Euphorbia lactea?

Post by WayneByerly »

A couple of years ago I built a primitive, inexpensive greenhouse. Just something to keep the rain off my succulents while giving them access to a brighter source of light than they would have in my window sill. I put in a thermostatically controlled heater that comes on at 40 degrees Fahrenheit and goes back off at 45 so they would have a cool winter rest but not be subject to freezing temperatures.

Unfortunately, the cool weather that we are currently experiencing in Tennessee causes humidity to condense on the inside when the door is closed (to keep the heat in). So day before yesterday I opened the door to allow things to dry out a little bit. But I forgot to close it back up, and about 3 the following morning I looked at the remote thermometer and noticed that the temperature in the greenhouse was about 30 degrees Fahrenheit. That's 2 degrees below freezing, and I do not know how long it had been that way. This morning, about 36 hours afterward, I looked at the cacti in the greenhouse to see if anything had suffered. And I discovered that my Euphorbia lactea had a couple of places along its upper edges that looked a little pale. Wondering if I had allowed this Euphorbia to freeze I took a couple of pictures and include one here hoping that someone will be able to tell me whether or not this pale coloration is indicative of any degree of damage caused by temperatures that are too cold for it.

If not, then what could possibly have caused this pale coloration. Lack of water? This Euphorbia drains fast, requiring frequent watering, but has not had water in some time due to Cold temperatures.

If so, could you please include a prognisis in your reply, and let me know wnat I might expect from this Euphorbia.

I have brought this plant inside where it is warm (73 degrees) hoping that it would recover some in the heat if it has suffered any damage. Is this a good thing for me to have done?

Notice that the color at center/top and center/right is paler than the stalk "behind/above" these areas. This picture is NOT in landscape... this forumn has turned it.
20171218_170526.jpg
20171218_170526.jpg (255.93 KiB) Viewed 597 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a