PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ... Not SURE if it is sick or not, but JIC ...

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

I have a Fetocactus latispinus that has some stuff all over it. It being one of my favorite cacti, because of the absolutely gorgeous purple flowers that it produces, you can perhaps appreciate my great degree of concern over it.

If anybody has any ideas at all, I sure would appreciate you taking the time to post a reply.

A picture of the entire cactus. you can see that the coverage is extensive. the body of the cactus is still very firm. No softness or rot detected. Despite close inspection (I have a pair of 20x loupes built into a frame that you wear on your face like glasses) I have discovered no insects at all. Not to say definitively that there are none, but none that I can see. Forgive the focus. The camera wants to focus on the spines, and not on the body.
1.JPG
1.JPG (174.03 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
A closeup of the 'stuff' on the cactus
2.JPG
2.JPG (188.15 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
The stuff can be scratched off. You can see in the blue circle where I have scratched some of it off with a wooden stick. You can also see, in the red circle, marks that the wooden stick left behind, so I am extremely reluctant to scratch at it any more.
3.JPG
3.JPG (172.17 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
A pic of one of the flowers that it produced in 2016. It didn't produce any in 2017. Stunning colors, eh? A kind of pink/purple that I have seen on no other of my cacti flowers.
Ferocactus latispinus in flower.JPG
Ferocactus latispinus in flower.JPG (140.69 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
Last edited by WayneByerly on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
stefan m.

Re: Not SURE if it is sick or not, but JIC ...

Post by stefan m. »

Its red spider mite. Recommend heavy insecticide(and regular spray) Though would like confirmation on that from other users.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

OMG... I was afraid it was something like that. Is there a someplace on this forum that suggests specific kinds of insecticide as well as a regimen?
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

look up red spider mite in search box.
hegar

Post by hegar »

I have yet to have had red spider mites attacking my plants. However, I am aware, that they can do quite a bit of damage. If they are still present, you should be able to see fine webbing and tiny, spider-like, slow-moving animals, which are brownish and have two red spots on their bodies.
Underneath the crusty discolorations your cactus seems to be looking healthy. That is a good sign.
While being tiny, you should be able to see these animals with a 20x loupe. You could use a soft brush and see, if you can wipe off some of the mites, while placing a white piece of paper under your cactus.

Harald

P.S.: You are correct with your statement about the Ferocactus latispinus being a special plant. I used to have a large specimen in my garden. Not only does it have a beautiful glaucus body color, but also a flower of an unusual color, almost violet. The only problem I had, was the fact, that this plant tried to bloom between November and January. So, most of the time, the flower buds did not make it to the bloom phase.
teo

Post by teo »

Red/false/flat spider mites produce no webs (AFAIK) - they just crawl around :-)
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

To: ANY who have tried to help me out here.

I have some Ferocactus latispinus seedlings that came from the cactus in the original posting (maybe 3 "triplets", 15 "twins" & 15 "singles"... see pic below for a "twin"), planted this year and only about 1/3rd of an inch across that i would be glad to send you for just what it would cost me in postage. IF you are interested.

How does that work?
  • You send me a PM with your address...
    I mail what you see in pic below to you.
    I send you a PM stating what it cost me to mail it to you with my mail address.
    You receive a box in mail.
    You send me postage cost.
No risk to you as you only send me postage costs after you get box. "Afflicted" cactus (by whatever is wrong with it) is in the greenhouse, seedlings are from a windowsill inside, so I'm not sending you "Afflicted" seedlings.

Alternatively, I could just send seeds. No point in charging anyone $0.47 for a stamp.

This "offer" is only good for those who have tried to help me by responding here. If I get multiple responses & have to purchase boxes, then I will add the cost of the boxes to the amount that I "charge" you. I will not be making a penny from this. I'm only charging the cost of postage. And I can only make this offer to U.S. residents. I cannot mail to countries outside of the U.S.
1.JPG
1.JPG (85.29 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

stefan m. wrote:Its red spider mite. Recommend heavy insecticide(and regular spray) Though would like confirmation on that from other users.
Ever since you made your assessment of RSM (Red Spider Mites), i've been doing some research. Both to find some additional documentation on what a RSM infestation looks like (to kind of solidify a diagnosis) and as a way to find out what to do about them. And i've a few thoughts.

1) I don't find any evidence of LCT (Little Crawly Things) whatsoever. Maybe because this is a greenhouse cacti and outside temperatures have reached a low of 40 degrees (thanks to my thermostatically controlled heater that comes on at 40 degrees F and goes off at 45 F) and the LCT have already retreated to a winter habitat. I just don't know.

2) The damage to cacti that i've see pictures of (google search/images) are almost consistently have a light tan coloration. And LOOK like something has killed the surface layer of cells (which is what is happening, as the RSM are eating the surface layer) ... where what I see on MY Ferocactus latispinus looks more like some wax has been painted on the surface and then dusted with a red to orange to brown substance. It looks topically applied, not eaten from it's surface if you get my drift.

3) RSM are reputed to not care for high humidity, and the humidity in my greenhouse (a subjective evaluation as I do not have a calibrated meter to measure it with) is rather high.

4) RSM are reputed to like fresh growth the best, and THAT tells me that they would go for the crown of the plant first. The damage to MY cactus is not located primarily at the top of the cactus, but scattered in a somewhat random fashion over the surface of its body. But the pictures of damage to cactus i've seen via a Google Search/Images show it to occur most anywhere. I'm not sure what to believe.

All in all, I am beginning to have some small doubt regarding the RSM diagnosis. But what do I know? It's just that in order to effectively treat what is wrong with this cactus, i've GOT to know WHAT'S wrong with it. I HOPE the information in THIS post assists SOMEONE in giving me a correct diagnosis, RSM or not.

So here are some more pictures of the stuff ON my cactus. These pictures, originally at 2592 x 1944 have been resized to 800x600 to reduce the amount of time it takes for you to "download" them so they can be seen. Their filesize, originally around 1,500kb is now only about 115 to 140kb.

#1) in this picture are a couple of red circles that should illustrate what i'm talking about when I say that it looks like what can be seen ony cactus appears to have been topically applied ... painted on the surface ... not eaten INTO the surface.
1.jpg
1.jpg (81.83 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
#2) Again, painted on the surface ... and mmmm ... 'redder' ... than what I see from a google search.
2.jpg
2.jpg (72.44 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
#3) what's inside the circles in this photo look more like scale ... although i have never seen scale ON TOP of a waxy looking substance painted ON the cactus exterior.
3.jpg
3.jpg (76.29 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
#4) it looks almost like wax has been painted on or poured on the surface of the skin. and then there is that 'orange' coloration outside the circle on the left.
4.jpg
4.jpg (70.44 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
#5) more evidence of 'painted on' in the circle at the upper left, and stuff that looks a little bit more like scale in the circle at the lower right.
5.jpg
5.jpg (79.66 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
#6) in the red circle at the top, more appearing as though it's 'painted on' or 'poured on', while the green arrow points to an area where i was able to pick at it and pull some of it up. not an easy chore, as this stuff is STUCK to the surface.
6.jpg
6.jpg (66.25 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
#7) the green arrow in this picture points to an EDGE where I was able to pick at it some and pull up a little bit. and the surface of the cactus underneath this waxy 'looking' stuff looks perfectly normal
7.jpg
7.jpg (63.89 KiB) Viewed 1629 times

One More Thing ... i've discovered some stuff that is supposed to be effective in killing something like 45 different insects, eggs, larvae and adults. It's called Safer Brand End All Insect Killer and the list of bugs it's supposed to kill is:
  • Aphids (including cabbage aphids, conifer aphids, rose aphids), Beetles (including Asian lady beetles, asparagus beetles, bean beetles, blister , beetles, Colorado potato beetles, cucumber beetles, flea beetles, Japanese beetles), Billbugs, Box elder bugs, Caterpillars & worms (including armyworms, bagworms, cabbage loopers, cabbage worms, Codling moth, cross-striped, diamond back moth larvae, eastern tent, fireworms, forest tent, gypsy moth, hornworms, imported cabbageworm, leaftiers, leaf rollers, Naval orange worm, sod webworm, tent caterpillars), Chinch bugs, Earwigs, Harlequin bugs, Lawn moth, Leafhoppers (including green peach leafhoppers), Mealybugs, Plant bugs, Psyllids (including boxwood psyllids, pear psyllids, tomato psyllids) Sawfly larvae, Scale crawlers, Sowbugs, Spider mites, Stink bugs, Thrips, Weevil adults, Whiteflies
And it's supposed to be organic ... that you can apply it on stuff you are going to EAT right up until the day before its harvested. The active ingredients, pyrethrin, neem oil and potassium salts of fatty acids, and is supposed to work (partially anyway) by paralyzing them so they stop eating, and damaging the insects outer surface so that it dries out from the inside out and dies.

A 32 oz bottle on Amazon is $12.45 and I'm a prime member so it ships 2nd day express to me for free (well, no additional charge). The URL for that is:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031 ... UTF8&psc=1

The same bottle is available straight from the manufactured for $7.99 and I don't know how much shipping would be, from:
http://www.saferbrand.com/safer-brand-e ... #specs_tab

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ... somebody help me out here. I've killed enough of my cactus just learning how to take care of them. I don't need to have one of my favorites die over some darn bug.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

teo wrote:Red/false/flat spider mites produce no webs (AFAIK) - they just crawl around :-)
I've seen an article or two that say differently. Do a google search on "damage to cactus from red spider mites", read a couple of the articles that show up and then look at some of the pictures. Not ALL of the pictures show webs, but SOME of them do.
stefan m.

Re: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ... Not SURE if it is sick or not, but JIC ...

Post by stefan m. »

What you have is definitely some kind of mite, trust me i have it. Ferocacti and gymnocalyciums, and others are susceptible to it.
Ive had luck only greatly slowing down this kind of sickness-i dont know what they use in your country.
Ill show you an example of plant(mine).
Attachments
DSC_0115.JPG
DSC_0115.JPG (52.45 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
DSC_0116.JPG
DSC_0116.JPG (63.5 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
DSC_0117.JPG
DSC_0117.JPG (54.83 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
DSC_0118.JPG
DSC_0118.JPG (64.35 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

stefan m. wrote:Ive had luck only greatly slowing down this kind of sickness-i dont know what they use in your country.
I've only ordered this stuff (Safer Brand End All Insect Killer) , today, and so I have no real idea about how effective it is. But it's supposed to be a very effective killer of the eggs and the nymphs and the adults of about 45 different kinds of bugs. When you say your country, that makes me think you live in someplace other than the United States. In what country do you live? Do you have access to any Amazon store from where you live?
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

1-its stated in the profile box(skopje -macedonia)
2-i buy stuff from local aggro-pharmacies .
3-i have amazon- ive bough seeds from amazon. Its just expensive, and customs is very strict .
4-products have different names-and im not a chemist.
Just wanted to share my red mite experience. oh and BTW i treated the plant as soon as it appeared.
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

In my experience in the UK, RSM only appear in very hot dry conditions- they seem to disappear when the humidity inceases.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

I've been looking all over the Internet for pictures that show what the pictures I have posted show. And everything i have looked at so far looks like some kind of damage etched into the skin of the cactus.

I'm not finding ANY pictures that show what the pictures i've posted show.

The pictures I have posted show what looks to be a waxy substance that has been painted on or poured onto the surface of the cactus. Look close at the pictures I have posted. Even the pictures that "Stephan M" has posted, the damage looks as though it has been etched into the surface of his cacti.

AND I FIND NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER OF LITTLE THINGS CRAWLING ON MY CACTUS. NONE!!!!

No bugs, no webs, no place that looks like it's been chewed, just this stuff caked on it externally. And it doesn't look anything like what i've seen in any picture posted anywhere. Sigh ... HEAVY sigh ...

The treatment i've decided on came yesterday, and I'm treating the F. latispinus with the "Safer Brand EndALL INSECT KILLER" that contains 1) Potassium salts of fatty acids, 2) Clarified extract of neem oil and 3) pyrethrins. And will do so until i find out anything to the contrary.

I just don't know what else to do ...

williamsii823

Post by williamsii823 »

You say you see no insect symptoms, and this appears as a covering. You mention that your greenhouse is possibly more humid than this plant likes...could this coating be some kind of fungus, or virus? And that's why no crawlies or obvious insect infestation. Just a thought. I'm stumped, like everyone else.