PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ... Not SURE if it is sick or not, but JIC ...

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ... Not SURE if it is sick or not, but JIC ...

Post by WayneByerly »

I found someone else with a latispinus with exactly the same thing i've go on MY latispinus at:
https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33398

the only problem there, is that no one knew what was wrong with his either. I've sent him a PM asking if his latispinus is OK, but have as yet heard back from him (its only been a few minutes).

But considering that both of us have exactly the same thing on exactly the same cactus, I cannot help but wonder if this is a natural condition that occurs to all Ferocactus latispinus.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

His seems to be at a much smaller scale. Though id spray just in case.
I do know for a odd fact that trichocereus plant sometimes have black spots appear on them naturally because of humidity and stuff, and the ooze sap. proof https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmelOG8OrGo
//warning, confession ahead//
If i had known that at the time, i wouldnt have butchered at least 10 trihocereus cacti three years ago.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

stefan m. wrote:... Though id spray just in case...
I bought a bottle of "Safer Brand EndALL Insect Killer". It's supposed to kill 45 different kinds of bugs ... eggs, nymphs and adults. I'll give it a weekly spray for about a month I guess, and we'll see what happens.

Its active ingredients are:
  • Potassium salts of fatty acids,
    clarified extract of neem oil,
    pyrethrin
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Make sure to spray the soil as well. Never know where those things hide.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Wayne,
I am sorry, that you still have not been able to get a diagnosis for the ailment of your Ferocactus latispinus. Perhaps somebody will have experienced the same condition and was able to have the puzzle solved.
If there is no insect or mite involved, there are not many other possibilities. One of course would be a physiological disorder, which can mean anything from sunburn- to frost damage or even nutrient deficiencies or toxicities. One condition, that was already mentioned, which falls into this category is the edema, where the epidermis is lifted up an sometimes almost seems to rupture. The tissue underneath my be of a different color than what normally would be expected, e.g. a little darker perhaps. One other thing that could be the problem is an algal infection or a lichen, the symbiotic relationship between a fungus and an alga.
I can pretty much rule out a rust fungus, although I have heard of a cactus that was infected with this pathogen. However, that is a rather rare occurrence. I can check on Tuesday, what kind of cactus was involved and what rust. Then I would know more.
Are you noticing any changes over time, i.e. are the lesions becoming larger or changing their appearance? Fungi usually do develop fruit bodies, which do hold the spores of the pathogen. They are visible as very tiny cushion-like or minute dark spherical structures, or they do form a fuzzy growth. You will need a good loupe, with at least 10x magnification, in order to see these things though.

Well, that is all that comes to mind at this time. You will need to find out, what the problem is, in order to remedy the situation. Of course, you could just go ahead and try everything that would kill both animal pests and pathogens, but that would be time consuming and expensive.

Harald
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Could also be that. But i did whack my first gymnocalyium by over-spraying it with fungicide.(sim symptoms)
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Stefan,
I am just guessing at what the problem might be. If I did have a piece of the plant in my laboratory, I could most likely come up with a better diagnosis, because the microscopes I am using would be of great help. I do work as a plant disease diagnostician, but mainly for fungi.
Even with the equipment I do have at hand, it is sometimes very challenging to arrive at the correct identification of the plant ailment, e.g. the fungus may not yet be fully mature or the problem is caused by a virus or bacterium, which cannot be easily verified by light microscopy.
I did find a few digital images of foliicolous lichens and also have seen a good number of algae in my professional lifetime and thought, that those should also be considered.

Harald
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Only one virus ive heard of, but that one attacks fruit crops.
Im also guessing, because ive experienced almost evry cactus ailment there is.
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Now thats sunburn.
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I have . No they cant. After a while it resembles tree bark, its really dry and wooden and stuff. what you have here is a minor case.
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Also i looked up your lost and found plant.