Weird growth

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
ElieEstephane

Weird growth

Post by ElieEstephane »

I started these epiphyllum cuttings a while ago and they are doing just great. However, at one point, one of them started this weird growth and i never gave it much attention. A week ago, the smaller one started the weird growth.l too. Both plants did not show growth on the above ground stem. So i'm assuming this growth started from an underground areole which explains the etiolated looking growth. But shouldn't it turn green and behave normally as soon as cactches the daylight? What am i missing here?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Re: Weird growth

Post by stefan m. »

Actually ill explain this, in a nutshell there is nothing wrong with your ephilium. What youre seeing is what i call(feel free to correct me) an anchor stem-a part of epithelium cacti that servers as an anchor or aerial root to a tree to grow upward. In fact its a sign that your cacti have taken root. Ive seen this on an old epiphyllum plant , it attaches to a support bar and wraps around it. Mine cutting clone has these as well.
As for the color , youve ever seen a schlumbergera's young pods? theyre also discolored.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

That's very interesting i did not know about that :-k i have 7 other cuttings that showed a lot of growth on the regular stem. Only the ones with no growth started these anchor stems
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I dont really know how to deal with this, but your best bet is to put some kind of non toxic stick near the those things and hope it coils around it. Ive not gotten past the 10 cm length. It just sprouted a couple of leaves afterward and stopped growing. But yeah it turned green.