My cactus is dying

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
kuni1234567

Re: My cactus is dying

Post by kuni1234567 »

I cut away the dead parts of the cactus and let the end dry up. I then place the cactus in pumice and water the plant. The plant should send out roots in time and then the cactus can be put into your potting mix.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

That seems to be general idea . Keep us posted on the success.
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
rayquaz251515

Post by rayquaz251515 »

*deep sigh*

To start with the bad thing, some stuff in private life went wrong and I forgot to cut off the dead parts of my cacti because all the personal stuff swallowed my whole attention.

Do I feel bad about this? Yes I do, feels like a big fail.

So by accident I remembered I need to cut off the bad parts, bad thing is that the cacti died even more.

Just did it half hour ago, pictures are made directly after cutting.

I didn't want to take any risk so I cut off the most healthy piece apart from the whole cacti, no idea if the bigger part will survive but I give both of them a chance.

I do feel ashamed that because of all other things I forgot this, to be fair I was really happy people over here gave me tips about saving this poor fellow, I hope it will survive.

I do have only a few question before I forget:

- how long does the both parts need to dry before I can put them again (in separate pots) in fresh soil?

- How did the roots of the bigger part look? Dead or healthy (about 80% felt dry and sturdy)

- when I want to plant that little healty part, planting the regular way is enough I guess?

- how long should it take before that healthy part can get some water? Offcourse I assume it needs less water than when it was a part of the bigger cacti.

- any other things to mention about the pictures?

Sorry for asking so much, after what happened I don't want to screw this up again, worst part is that because I forgot about this everything got worse.

Pictures (warning, I had to cut off a lot of it):

before cutting

big part after cutting

healthy part after cutting

stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Im not gonna lie, if you had done this earlier, the cactus might have had better odds to pull off.
Now, im not so sure-plant seems to be too far gone to salvage- if you try to root a severely desiccated plant like this, success chance is minimal. if you still wanna go through with this, wait a week and a half in the least and put in soil.
rayquaz251515

Post by rayquaz251515 »

stefan m. wrote:Im not gonna lie, if you had done this earlier, the cactus might have had better odds to pull off.
Now, im not so sure-plant seems to be too far gone to salvage- if you try to root a severely desiccated plant like this, success chance is minimal. if you still wanna go through with this, wait a week and a half in the least and put in soil.
That's the worst part, even while I didn't forgot that by purpose and everything else needed my attention, this shouldn't have happened :oops: ](*,)

1,5 week, I give it a chance how small is may be I just looked the whole healthy part and it looks good but that doesn't mean much in first place

(I let it dry in guest room, it's dark enough over there and the temperature is alright)

Stiil a big thanks to all for the help
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

Last year I was repotting a Notocactus submammulosus & in clearing the old compost the whole rootball came away leaving the bare base of the plant. I let it dry for 2weeks & then inserted it into a dry very gritty mix. I left it for another 2 weeks then sat the pot in a little water for a few minutes so that only the bottom of the compost was wet. The idea being to get roots to develop & grow down searching for water. After a few more weeks I carefully removed the cactus & found a healthy cluster of roots growing down into the compost. The plant has fully recovered & flowered this year. Hope that helps?