Gymnocalyciums looking dessicated

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
AnalogDog

Gymnocalyciums looking dessicated

Post by AnalogDog »

I have 2 Gymnocalycium pups that have really colored up and show deep crevices only to marginal winter weather. The 2 plants are G. ferrari and G. eurypleurum, they are only 1-1.5 inches in diameter. They are currently in an unheated greenhouse that is 3'x4' in size, its where my desert cacti go to get cold in the winter,
20171027_123635 cropped.jpg
20171027_123635 cropped.jpg (114.48 KiB) Viewed 362 times
My thought is to keep them out of the cold and give them a little water so they fatten up. I'm wondering how they got into this state as they were part of my gang for the summer.Im looking for a little experience dealing with the seedlings some shops provide.
7george

Re: Gymnocalyciums looking dessicated

Post by 7george »

I think that the season is over for these two. Bring'em indoors, GH or what do you use for overwintering. Don't water till spring. I also doubt about names you have above: both look like G. michanovichii or something similar. Good luck!
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Grimm

Re: Gymnocalyciums looking dessicated

Post by Grimm »

Gymnocalyciums can shrivel up quite a bit without harm and yours don't seem to be too bad, so I wouldn't worry too much, but keep an eye on them. It could be natural, or there could be a problem with the roots.