Agave desmettiana spots.

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
ElieEstephane

Agave desmettiana spots.

Post by ElieEstephane »

This one's probably on me. The plant was left very close to drainage pipe and got all kinds of splatter. So im guessing the spots and white stuff are due to the high humidity. The problem is probably only aesthetic but i want to be sure. It's still a pup so it will grow out of it and they're quite strong and resilient.
I placed it in the fullest sun to dry it off. Where do i go from here? Im shying away from insecticide fearing it will stain the greyish coloring in the leaves as it can easily rub off.
Thank you
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
hegar

Re: Agave desmettiana spots.

Post by hegar »

I believe, that the greyish-white spots are mealybugs. If so, under the fluffy, wooly spots, there should be an aphid-like, soft-bodied insect present.
Under magnification, it looks like what is shown, when you click on the tab "Diseases and Pests" or "Pests and Diseases" at the top of the home page of CactiGuide.
Be aware, that these insects are very hard to eradicate. The best way in my opinion to fight this pest is by using a systemic insecticide.

Harald
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

hegar wrote:I believe, that the greyish-white spots are mealybugs. If so, under the fluffy, wooly spots, there should be an aphid-like, soft-bodied insect present.
Under magnification, it looks like what is shown, when you click on the tab "Diseases and Pests" or "Pests and Diseases" at the top of the home page of CactiGuide.
Be aware, that these insects are very hard to eradicate. The best way in my opinion to fight this pest is by using a systemic insecticide.

Harald
Thanks harald! I didn't see any mealybugs on it but i will definitely check again. I thought it was some sort of mould from the humidity.
If it's mealybugs im not gonna bother with it. im just gonna discard it as i have many other larger ones that are pupping like crazy.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Update:
It wasnt mealy bugs. There was some sort of dark red aphids that were hiding where the leaves meet the "stem". I used an aphid insecticide i use for plums and such and the problem was gone completely the next day. However the plant will remain indifintely in quaratine.