Falling apart Cactus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
mvanvli1

Falling apart Cactus

Post by mvanvli1 »

Hello,

I wasn't sure which forum to post in as this is both for a sick cacti and also looking to identify it.

First off, i got this from my wife, i have had it at work for a few months now, and it was spouting new growth and (in my uneducated opinion on cactus health doing pretty well).

I noticed over the past few weeks some of the cacti turning off color green and recently last week parts of it have been falling off.

I am not sure if it is due to lack of sun, too much sun (i am in a middle of the floor in my office building so i doubt that but maybe, too much watering (though we just had a baby so i have been letting it go a few weeks in-between waterings) or some disease/fungus.

I have attached a few pictures (Photo 1 & Photo 1) of the poor guy, let me know what i should do to try to save it and also if possible what it exactly is.
Attachments
Photo 1
Photo 1
Boxer_1506100420484940.jpg (133.12 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
Photo 2
Photo 2
Boxer_1506100393468613.jpg (135.39 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
mvanvli1

Re: Falling apart Cactus

Post by mvanvli1 »

Oh i forgot to mention until i saw the images, the small piece in the front of the skull is a piece that fell off previously and also in photo 2 the closest growth with the very new grown coming off toward the camera fell off yesterday.
tom_212

Post by tom_212 »

it's an opuntia microdasys.
And it has etiolated alot.
This means it has had way to little sun.
Try giving it alot more direct sunlight.
But build it up, otherwise it gets sunburns.
Water amount depends where you live.
TR
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

You should take the fake flowers out... And put it much much much brighter sunlight.
mvanvli1

Post by mvanvli1 »

Sounds good thanks for the replies, yeah i saw those flowers were glued on...lol

I will get those removed and get this guy in more soon and report back with results.

Thanks for the quick replies!
hegar

Post by hegar »

I agree with the opinions given above. The "rat tail" like growth is due to the plant being in way too little light. If there is not enough sun light, you can also correct the light deficiency by adding light with an artificial grow light. These do have blue-looking bulbs or fluorescent tubes and emit a light spectrum that is similar to that of natural sun light. The etiolated growth will not be corrected once more light is provided. You can remove these "rat tails" or leave them alone. They do look interesting, but are atypical and will remain weak and spindly.

Harald
rsales3

Post by rsales3 »

Another couple comments to add. The skull planter looks cool but it should have a drain hole. The soil looks pretty wet, the cactus will do better with more gritty soil, pumice and perlite, about 80 to 90 %, water only after the soil is dried out. You can check moisture with a pencil, stick it in the soil and let it sit for a few minutes then pull it out and check for wetness (read this tip on this forum).
williamsii823

Post by williamsii823 »

That pencil / water meter trick, I have taught hundreds of people when I was in the garden center retail world. Stick a sharpened pencil into the soil. Let it sit a minute. Pull it out. If shaved end is wet, or even moist, wait a few days, and try again. When it comes out dry, water well, and start all over next time.
Depending on type of plant, use your judgement for when to water. Cactus, you'd want pencil to be dry. Other plants, you might water when pencil shows slightly damp.