Cactus Surgery

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Brewster

Cactus Surgery

Post by Brewster »

[attachment=0]IMG_0085 [1280x768].JPG[/attachment]
I had this cactus for 20 years. Three years ago it started to grow. I don't think it gets enough light. I would like to cut the new growth off.
Do you see any problems doing this?
Attachments
IMG_0085 [1280x768].JPG
IMG_0085 [1280x768].JPG (128.28 KiB) Viewed 459 times
ElieEstephane

Re: Cactus Surgery

Post by ElieEstephane »

Brewster wrote:IMG_0085 [1280x768].JPG
I had this cactus for 20 years. Three years ago it started to grow. I don't think it gets enough light. I would like to cut the new growth off.
Do you see any problems doing this?
No problem at all. Just make sure you sterilze your knife or whatever you use to cut. Cut your cactus at an angle so that rain or water will not collect on the top.
This is a desert cactus and it needs all the full sun it can get but make sure to acclimate it slowly.
You can try to root the top growth too.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
esp_imaging

Re: Cactus Surgery

Post by esp_imaging »

This plant would normally grow as a straight column for many years. The recent growth from a new branch, which suggests that the old main growth point died. If you remove the new growth, the old plant is likely to produce another similar branch.
You could try to root the cutting, give it a week or two for the wound to heal before placing it on dryish compost.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti